Wasc Veterans, What Am I Missing?

Baking By 3LittleBeesCookies Updated 3 May 2010 , 2:08am by 3LittleBeesCookies

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 20

Hi. I made the Rebecca Sutterby (sp?) WASC for the first time last month and loved it. I had never made an all white cake before and I wanted to know what all the hoopla was about. I was so excited that I stocked up on a variety of other mix flavors. However, I have not had the same success with other WASC inspired recipes--many of which I discovered on CC--using other flavors. I've tried orange mix, yellow mix, red velvet (to name a few) and have noticed the following with every mix and all three brands--PB, DH, and BC...

1. The top of the cakes are so darn sticky! I have had to trim substantial amounts of cake because of it.

2. They just don't taste as good as the white cake. The cakes I've made have had that chemical, box after taste that I don't like, which is why I prefered scratch cakes to begin with.

I'm starting to think that maybe I'll just use the white mix and stick to my other cake recipes. Am I doing something wrong? What has been your experience?

19 replies
Malakin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 20

I ended up with the same situation. So...I kept changing things here and there, like adding melted dark chocolate to the chocolate recipe and ended up developing a killer Italian cream with DH box mix!

Sagebrush Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 20

A couple of thing re: the stickiness...

Where do you live? Are you at high altitude?

I am, and in my research re: high altitude adjustments, one of the things I learned is that a sticky top can be a result of too much sugar in your cake mix. So, regardless of whether high altitude might be part of the cause, you may want to try reducing the amount of sugar that you add when you doctor the mix to see if that helps with the stickiness.

mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #4 of 20

I use the "origional" WASC receipe and I don't have that problem with the sticky tops. I did have trouble with the other WASC receipe being sticky on top so I started using the origional receipe. Problem solved for me. thumbs_up.gif

sweetlybaked Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #5 of 20

I use the original recipe and change that...for lemon, I add frozen lemonade to the WASC instead of water but cut down on sugar. Strawberry, pureed frozen strawberries and strawberry juice, I'm sure you can do the same for orange. I've also made a cinnamon roll cake, strawberry chocolate marble, all from the regular WASC recipe, but just modified. I did have trouble with the sticky tops, but it never affected anything. HTH!

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

A couple of thing re: the stickiness...

Where do you live? Are you at high altitude?

I am, and in my research re: high altitude adjustments, one of the things I learned is that a sticky top can be a result of too much sugar in your cake mix. So, regardless of whether high altitude might be part of the cause, you may want to try reducing the amount of sugar that you add when you doctor the mix to see if that helps with the stickiness.

No, I'm not at high altitude. Maybe I should try lessening the sugar or just using the "original" as others have suggested!

mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:55am
post #7 of 20

Give the origional a try. It's way better in my opinion.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 20

When you say to use the original recipe, is this the one you are talking about?

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

If so, that's the only recipe I have ever used and the tops are always sticky.

The other day when I made the recipe I realized that the sugar level is very high compared to the amount of additional flour. 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of flour. I don't know why I never noticed that before. I was thinking about lowering the sugar content, but not sure by how much. Although, even though the tops of the cakes are sticky, they don't seem sticky after they're iced, and everyone loves the cakes, so maybe I shouldn't mess with it!

karenm0712 Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 20

My WASC cake in both yellow and white are ALWAYS sticky/gummy on top - i hate that too and end up cutting it off - also, I have a yucky floury film in my mouth after I eat a piece of this cake...not sure what that is about...

dalis4joe Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 20

ok.... now I want to make a WASK... but I want it to be strawberry flavor... do I add strawberry Jell-o to the mix? if so... what ingrdient do I add less of to compensate for adding the Jell-o mix....

OR

Do I do the regular WASC but use Strawberry box mix instead of yellow cake box mix?

(sorry I am a scratch baker and have no idea how to doctor/add to box mixes)

sweetlybaked Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 20

With my strawberry cake, I use the original WASC recipe, and substitute strawberry juice and pureed strawberries for the water in the recipe. It will not give you a PINK cake like a box, but it is really yummy!

mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

My WASC cake in both yellow and white are ALWAYS sticky/gummy on top - i hate that too and end up cutting it off - also, I have a yucky floury film in my mouth after I eat a piece of this cake...not sure what that is about...

icon_confused.gif I've never had sticky/gummy tops when using the "origional" receipe.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

When you say to use the original recipe, is this the one you are talking about?

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

If so, that's the only recipe I have ever used and the tops are always sticky.

The other day when I made the recipe I realized that the sugar level is very high compared to the amount of additional flour. 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of flour. I don't know why I never noticed that before. I was thinking about lowering the sugar content, but not sure by how much. Although, even though the tops of the cakes are sticky, they don't seem sticky after they're iced, and everyone loves the cakes, so maybe I shouldn't mess with it!

I used the other "original" (lol--two originals) that is the white cake mix, sour cream, egg WHITES, etc. That wasn't really sticky. But, I've tried other recipes with different mixes such as yellow and fudge with whole eggs and other added ingredients. Those have been sticky, but it seems like lots of folks have this problem. The last one I made was so sticky on the top that I was afraid it was somehow undone even though the tester came out clean.

dalis4joe Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #14 of 20

I just made it today... with the strawberry cake box mix.... came out perfect...no sticky top... very flavorful.... nice and moist and super delish.... I'm a fan for sure....

juleek Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:39am
post #15 of 20

I cut the sugar, flour, and sour cream all down to 1/2 cup. No sticky tops. And its still moist and delicious. I use it with any flavor cake mix, just change the extracts.

DeeDelightful Posted 2 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #16 of 20

What's wrong with a sticky top, if you are going to flip the cake out of the pan and frost the "bottom" of the cake? I guess i don't understand what's negative about it being sticky on top.

Sagebrush Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #17 of 20

3littlebees... you might be on to something there. A few months back, Doug posted something about the effect of different ingredients in a recipe, and I seem to remember egg yolks make it moister and egg whites dry it out (I'm simplifying, of course). Maybe try trading a couple of egg whites for one of the whole eggs in the recipe to see if that makes a difference.

If I can manage to find the thread, I'll post a link.

mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:54am
post #18 of 20
Quote:

3littlebees... you might be on to something there. A few months back, Doug posted something about the effect of different ingredients in a recipe, and I seem to remember egg yolks make it moister and egg whites dry it out (I'm simplifying, of course). Maybe try trading a couple of egg whites for one of the whole eggs in the recipe to see if that makes a difference.

I always use just egg whites in my cakes. Maybe that's why I don't have sticky tops. Hmm.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

What's wrong with a sticky top, if you are going to flip the cake out of the pan and frost the "bottom" of the cake? I guess i don't understand what's negative about it being sticky on top.

The problem is that it's so sticky that it nearly comes apart. I flip the cake layers out of the pan and once cool, I reinvert one layer for my bottom. This way the bottom layer is totally flat like it was when it baked. Then I place the other layer on top. This way, both of the "tops" are touching and the bottom and top of the cake are totally flat. So, that's why it's important to me because one of those babies is getting dammed and filled. I don't know if others do it that way, but that's how I learned. icon_surprised.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #20 of 20
Quote:

Thanks. Looking forward to reading the thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%