Hard Objects In Domino Powdered Sugar

Decorating By mim1106 Updated 1 May 2010 , 12:18am by ALVARGA

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hey! I was making the icing for a wedding cake last night, and noticed little pebbles in it. There were a LOT of little pebbles in it! After investigating, I found out it was coming from the Domino Powdered Sugar. 4 of the ten bags I had had these things in them! I stopped opening them, but I would assume the other 6 did too. Some were dark brown, some were light brown, and some were lighter brown. I thought maybe they were just hardened pieces of sugar. I put one in my mouth...nope. not sugar! They wouldn't break, and they tasted bitter. So after wasting a LOT of expensive Hi Ratio, I had to go buy Dixie Crystal sugar and start over. Here's the kicker -- my husband took the sugar back, with some of the pebbles in a baggie, explained to the employee what happened....we got a refund, and they proceeded to RESTOCK the shelf! My husband said, you do realize that sugar has foreign objects in it. The employee shrugged and said, "the bags are sealed". icon_eek.gif WTH?! He is calling the manager first thing this morning. I already emailed Domino to tell them, to include the store name and phone number. What do ya'll think it could be?

9 replies
LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 10

I think you should call Dominos directly, they may have to issue a recall... Who knows what type of hazardous material that is.. did you keep any of it as proof?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 10

icon_eek.gif I don't know. I've never seen something like this. Hopefully someone that does know will answer.

One reason that I sift ALL dry ingredients. ALWAYS.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 10

I'm hoping and thinking it could be really hard brown sugar. But I'm off to look at my sugar that I just bought.

Now that I think about it, I was decorating cupcakes yesterday and something stuck in my bag. It was a little hard brown thing. Because it was chocolate frosting I assumed it was a chocolate chip that didn't melt. It wouldn't break in my hand and I was not about to bite it to see what it was, so I threw it out.

Let us know what Domino says. I may just follow up with my experience too.

ETA: I did sift my sugar first, so it could have been a chocolate bit after all. I did melt it the barest amount of time I could get away with to keep the chocolate from being too warm so I could use it right away.

mim1106 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 10

I didn't save it, we gave some to the store. But then I trashed the rest. I will ask the manager if they saved it....wasn't even thinking, DARN! How do you edit to change the title?

mim1106 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 10

nevermind...I found it!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 10

You should've written down the lot/batch info from the bags - Dominos is not going to do anything without having something to trace the bags back to. Good Luck!

mim1106 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 10

I know, Kimmers971, we said the same thing last night after the fact icon_sad.gif

mim1106 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 10

My husband said Domino just called....the lady said most likely it was burnt sugar, and sometimes it comes off into the product. She is calling the store (I had left their number in the email) and asking them to send the sugar back so they can test it in the lab. She told my husband she is sending me a check to cover all that Hi Ratio I wasted and coupons for free sugar! What great customer service! Guess I will stick with them, sifting from now on, though...

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:18am
post #10 of 10

Great......my Krogers just quit carrying Imperial sugar icon_cry.gif for Domino's. I have always been a faithful Imperial sugar fan and now I will shop elsewhere to get my Imperial!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%