Cake Split - Help Please

Decorating By Tclanton Updated 3 May 2010 , 8:30pm by Tclanton

Tclanton Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 13

Good Morning! Have several questions. I baked a 9x13 sheet last night and turned it out to cool on the extra rack in my oven. This am I went to turn it over, and the cake had literally almost split completely in two and in other places. After thinking, I know that the weight of the cake and being forced onto the rach is what caused this.

I know that I can still level and use this cake and no one should ever know. But, here are my questions; 1-can I still fill this sheet cake with strawberry perserves?

Secondly - I am baking an 8" round tonight that will sit on top of this sheet to resemble a hill with a barn on top of it. The 8" will be carved and the barn to be made from graham crackers. 2-will the sheet hold the carved 8" without doweling and separating?

Thanks in advance for you help! T icon_sad.gif

12 replies
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 13

I wouldn't put the 8" on there without dowels, even if the cake hadn't cracked! Definitely put at least some straws into the bottom cake and put the 8" on it's own board! Otherwise you should be ok to still use it.

Tclanton Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 13

Ok I will separate - what about the filling on the sheet cake-think that will be ok?

KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 13

should be fine, I've filled cakes that were several smaller cake all shoved together and iced as one and I don't see how a cracked sheet cake would be any different!

It will be more difficult to fill in sections, but it should still work!

Sometimes when I fill my 12x18" cakes I cut the cake into 2 layers and then cut down through the top layer making it 2 smaller layers so it's more manageable and I've never had trouble with it. As long as your dowels are sturdy and will stay standing up straight and not wobble the cake underneath won't matter.

Tclanton Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 13

Well, I can say I have learned a lesson! I wont be cooling sheet cakes on this oven rack ever again. I will buy one just for this purpose. I havent had this happen with my rounds - but they arent as heavy either.

Thank you for your help Khalstead!

TexasSugar Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 13

Question about the cake that split, did it have a hump on it? If so when you flipped the hump down, gravity pushing on the thinner outside edges is what caused the cake to split.

You can either trim the hump off before flipping it out, or double flip it so the hump is up.

Tclanton Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 13

It had no hump in the center at all - abnormally almost flat. It didnt split until sometime in the night. I am assuming a settling action and the rack had too large of a gap between each one to support the cake as it settled.

Double flip is a great idea - didnt think of that at all.

cheatize Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:24am
post #8 of 13

I used an oven rack to flip a 16 inch square last night. In the time it took to double flip, a crack had started right down the middle. I hope I don't have to do that again! At the time, I couldn't think of anything else big enough to flip it.

Tclanton Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 13

I know your pain - the final product turned out fine and the little girl loved her cake. And I thought all along that sheet cakes would be easy, not really. I have had better luck with rounds.

Cheatize - did the crack continue for you?

cheatize Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 13

No, it didn't continue, but it wasn't very deep. Fortunately, I didn't need to touch the center to do the carving. I had a large oval cake completely split once. I was able to torte, fill, repair the split, and then stack a filled character cake on top of it with no problems. Just make sure your cake boards are really sturdy so there's no flex when moved.

Tclanton Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 13

I ended up using two cake boards as this cake was going to be very heavy! I am learning as I go and this weekend was another learning experience. I learned that when you use tip 233 - well it crumbles sometimes when you move the cake.

lis73 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 13

I buy the bigs sheets of foam core from Hobby Lobby when they are on sale. Then , I can cut them down to the size that I need, and do the double flip. It also gives me a surface to work on if needed. I won't do a 12 inch cake or bigger without it!

Tclanton Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for the info. Our Hobby Lobby just opened back up in a new location. Cant wait to go and check out their new store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%