Wedding Planner Asked For My Recipe- Should I?

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 3 May 2010 , 10:45pm by artscallion

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #31 of 39

I think its pretty nervey of her to ask..... Being a wedding planner she knows the industry norm's..... Sorry....NO....

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #32 of 39

I wouldn't do it either. Makes flags go up for me when someone who would have the nerve to ask for your recipe. To me, they want to start their own cakes, etc... steal your recipe,, say you graciously gave it to them and they do less work but take all the credit.

I've had many inquiries about my icing, cakes etc... Usually, little ol' me, I ask, "why?". I tell them when I get a free trip to the moon, I will gladly give up my recipes..

And if a wedding planner esp. is asking for your seating charts, plans, cake recipes, RUN!!!!!

Zee4040 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zee4040 Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:43am
post #33 of 39

I loooooove the rotisserie chicken that a famous local restaurant makes. I go there all the time. They always get my compliments, but asking for their recipe? I could not dare to do that. Same with my cakes recipes. When people UNDERSTAND you are running a business it is just plain silly (and perhaps rude) to even ask for this!

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:03am
post #34 of 39

I wouldn't even reply back.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:20am
post #35 of 39

That is your business--there is NO WAY would I give out any of my recipes. I do like the one of the PP's ideas of charging $5 million though icon_twisted.gif

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:11am
post #36 of 39

I wouldn't share my recipes just because someone wanted them...unless I didn't care because no two people bake alike!

LOL Like someone said, I would say that I was so flattered that they liked my cakes but the recipes are my own trademark, etc. etc.

There is no point in being cranky about it. Grandma always said you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar and she is right. You can tell people to go to h3ll in a handbasket but if you say it sweetly, they will smile at you and ask for directions and remember you fondly to your friends and enemies. icon_wink.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #37 of 39

well you can sell it to her, a lot of resturent's will sell to you, years ago my sister's mother-in-law loved a red velvet cake and asked for the recipe and they said sure, 250 when she got the bill it was $250.00, so i don't know what you would charge now, especially if she plans on selling it. i'd make her a high offer, me personally would give anyone any kind of recipe they asked for, to me it's a compliment

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:33pm
post #38 of 39

Say whaaaaat! The nerve of some people. icon_rolleyes.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:45pm
post #39 of 39

I tell people they can have all my recipes. But they have to wait until my book comes out. icon_wink.gif That gets across the idea that these recipes are mine and have a concrete, proprietary value to me. Say it with a laugh, a smile or a wink and they get the point without being offended.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%