3 Month Cupcake Shelf Life??

Decorating By TJCanadian Updated 1 May 2010 , 3:17am by Rose_N_Crantz

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 9

I stopped in at the local grocery store to have them print an edible image for me and they have problems with the printer so it took a while. I started looking around and I'm so sorry I did.

I saw sheet cakes stacked 5 and 6 deep in the display cabinet, pre-decorated and ready for pickup. Cupcake cakes they tried to make into baseballs and basketballs (which are supposed to be round, but as you know cupcake cakes aren't perfectly round) The cupcake cake butterfly was a little suspect because the body was white with black curved lines on it outlining ...segments? Ok, how many white bodied insects do you know of with segments. To my detriment I could only think of magots and larvae....(urp) And then, I saw, the 'Sell by' date. (dun dun dunnnn)
Today is April 29, 2010. Can you guess the sell by date???? July 25, 2010!!!

What exactly is in them that gives them shelf life of 3 months? And then I wondered....don't they put the freshest ones on the bottom?? Wonder what the date on the bottom ones were???

Too scared to look.

8 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 9

Scary. Reminds me why I bake at home.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 9

Was it a freezer you were looking in?? know most groceries around here don't bake their cakes, they come in frozen and the sell by date would be on them which would probably be 3 months or so.

TJCanadian Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 9

Do they come in frosted and frozen? It was an open chill cooler I believe, but I didn't think they were frozen....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 9

oh yeah, they come in pre-iced..........generally the decorating is done on-site though!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 9

I was in our local grocery store recently (not a chain) & they were putting "Sell By" stickers on the shelf cakes and stocking the freezer cakes. One girl asked the other "Do we sticker these frozen ones, too?" The second girl replied "No, we don't."
How do they know when they were stocked or when they should toss them without a date? icon_confused.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

oh yeah, they come in pre-iced..........generally the decorating is done on-site though!

Hmmm, Tina that's supposed to be "decorating" lol

TJCanadian Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 9

Lol, yes, these were already 'decorated'...

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9

We got preiced cakes at my grocery store during one grad season, but we stopped because the quality was so poor. And the shelf life for our cakes is 5 days. Preiced or not. The longest shelf life I've seen for a bakery item we receive pre packaged and ready to be sold is 2 weeks.

I can't imagine a sell by date out to June. Crazy. What store was this again?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%