Gluten Free Chocolate Cake!

Baking By Choco68 Updated 5 May 2010 , 7:26am by Choco68

Choco68 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:29am
post #1 of 6

Hello! I'm a bit stuck! icon_cry.gif

I've been asked to do a cake for a 50th celebration but the client is a coeliac hence I need to make the cake gluten free.

Can someone help me with a 'working' recipe?

Thanks a mil!

Dee x

5 replies
nldflores Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 6

Chocolate Fantasy
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup ground almonds
3 ounces (3 squares) gluten-free semisweet chocolate, melted or 3 tablespoons cocoa pwd plus 1 tablespoon butter
1 cup gluten free flour mixture
3/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk

350*F doug for3 x 13 pan
Sift together the flour miture, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cream de butter with 3/4 cup sugar. Add eggs yolks and vanilla, beat well. Stir in almonds, then the chocolate. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk blending well after each addition. In separate bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy, gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and beat until stiff form. Carefully fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and turn into the greased pan. Bake 25 minutes or till a thoothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Gluten-free flour mixture
make 5 cups
2 1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup potato starch flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup bean flour
2 tablespoons xanthan gum

sift all together. Store in zipploc bags and refigerate up to 1 week.

Choco68 Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:19am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much! I shall try this - could I come back to you if i have any questions! Dee x

nldflores Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:23am
post #4 of 6

Yes. thumbs_up.gif

artscallion Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:43am
post #5 of 6

My Sister-in-Law has celiac. So I often make a small separate cake for her for family events so she doesn't feel left out. One of her favorites has actually been a brownie recipe I got from the King Arthur Flour site...

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-brownies-recipe

I substituted Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour mix for the King Arthur version because it's available in my market. I liked this recipe because it had very few ingredients and was a snap to make. Most gluten free recipes I've made have called for a Tbsp of this flour and a tsp of that starch...all things I don't have and need to spend $40 on bags of stuff I only need a tsp of.

It's dense and delicious and you'd never guess it was gluten free.

I torte it and use peanut butter buttercream to fill and frost.

Choco68 Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:26am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much! Shall let you all know how I get on!

Dee x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%