Reason To Un-Favorite

Lounge By nwnest Updated 10 May 2010 , 5:21am by luvmysmoother

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:48am
post #1 of 23

A while back someone had a post about their cake being "Un-Favorited," someone took one of her cakes out their favorites. The OP had her feelings hurt, why would someone "Un-Favorite" her cake? I could understand why she might be a little confused. It's a little like being "Un-Friended" on Facebook, only for cake. I only have a few of my own cakes posted, and although it's exciting to have a comment or have them favorited, I don't keep close track of their statistics. I know a lot of people do keep track, though, and take it very seriously

Now I have a reason to do a mass un-favoriting, but I'm hesitating because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. My teenage daughter (who is talented in the frosting arts) had her first boyfriend, and "their" animal was the panda. They exchanged all sorts of panda things: shirts, stuffed animals, figurines, original art. She did several searches for panda cakes and cookies on CC and socked them away on my favorite photo pages, thinking she would use them as inspiration to make panda sweets for the boyfriend. Except now they are broken up (thank goodness,) and pandas are now a hurtful reminder of what turned out to be an emotionally abusive relationship. I'd like to get rid of the pandas.

What do you think? Can I just take them off my saved favorites? If they are of a cake/cookie that has only been "favorited" a few times, should I PM the owner of the cake and explain?

22 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:55am
post #2 of 23

Explain if you want but personally, I'd just do what i have to do. I wouldn't feel the need to explain. People change. Tastes change. I don't owe anyone an explanation for my tastes.
icon_biggrin.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:57am
post #3 of 23

OMW! I dont even know how how many fav's Ive got on my cakes! If this is a way of keeping score Im obviously losing the match icon_smile.gif
Un-fav them and if you have any comebacks point them in the direction of this thread. Im sure the ones that is going to be upset (or even notice) is way in the minority and you will have to answer maybe 1or 2 enquiries (if any).

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:00am
post #4 of 23

While I understand how it might feel bad if you have a cake that has just a few favorites, and the number goes down, I don't think you ought to feel obligated to keep cakes you no longer need as inspiration in your favorites list. Your favorites are for you, not for anyone else.

I just looked, and I have 75 pages of favorites (WOW... didn't realize it had gotten that big), and I usually find at least a few every day to add to that list. I have various reasons for doing so. Some are just so amazing, even though I'll never, ever be able to make a cake like that, I just love looking at them. Some are great and I think within my (eventual) skill level, so I want to make a cake like them. Some just have an element or a technique that I want to remember, even if I don't so much love the overall cake. Some I even stuck in there because I asked a question in the comments, and I wanted to be able to remember to go back and see if there was an answer.

I know, though, that in all the time I've been on here, though, I've got a lot of duplicate styles, and I really ought to go through and winnow down those to just the best examples. (I haven't yet, mostly because with no way to organize my favorites or search just through my favorites, it would be very time consuming to do it). When I do, though, I'm not going to worry about the people who the cakes belong to. My favorites list is to help me in making cakes, not to buoy up someone else emotionally. It's something I need to do so that I can find the things I'm looking for.

HTH

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:11am
post #5 of 23

I did not even know that you could tell who had selected your picture as a favorite. Can you? I have "unfavorited" pictures before. Like the OP, I had been looking for a certain type of cake, then no longer needed it. I never even thought that it might hurt someones feelings. I would not want to do that. But I have to admit that I would think they must be a little insecure to have their feelings hurt over something so minor.

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:14am
post #6 of 23

I completely agree with Sagebrush.
If you no longer have a use for those photos, why keep them? I think if someone is upset about being 'un-favorited' then they are posting their photos for the wrong reasons. That's just my opinion though. icon_biggrin.gif

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:37am
post #7 of 23

Thank you. I haven't been on CC terribly long--but I've noticed that a small minority are definitely "keeping score," and I didn't want to break any un-written social rule.

My favorites are now panda-free, and a safe place to look for inspiration. One less source of drama. Yay!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:25am
post #8 of 23

I'm with the comment above ..... how does someone have time to keep track of how many favorites they have? icon_confused.gif

There are a number of reasons to fave something and just as many for un-faving something.

If I have a client looking for a drumset cake, I'll fave 5 or 6 as ideas I can show her. Grandson loves Toy Story, so I faved a number of Toy Story cakes. But after the drum client picks her cake and after my grandson's birthday party (and btw this persnickety 3 year old has changed his mind to Spiderman!), then I'll un-fave those cakes because I dont need them anymore.

Having a cake as a fave isn't like a vote for prom queen .... it's not a popularity contest. It's simply a mechanism to keep handy the cakes that one has in interest in for however long they need it. thumbs_up.gif

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 23

I have "un-favorited" lots of cakes and it is absolutely nothing personal. I did a Sponge Bob cake for the son of a friend of mine, so when I was trying to figure out what to do I added a dozen Sponge Bob cakes to my favorites. Now that the cake is done and the party is over I plan on removing them. The cakes are still just as good, I just don't really care about Sponge Bob and don't want my favorites over flowing with cakes that I'm "done" wih. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 23

Ummm, okay maybe some people have too much time on their hands. I can't even tell you to the exact number how many favorites I have. If someone un-favorited one of my pictures I'd have no idea it happened.

Sure it is nice to have a picture favorited, but it isn't motivation for me to keep moving. Sure I have been unfriend and have unfriend people on facebook. Why because we never talked, so what was the point? On face book my friend number is patheticly low, and I don't care, why? Because I know who my true friends are, and instead of being friends with every caker out there, I'd rather keep it to people that I care about what is going on in their lives.

Un-favorite cakes that are no longer useful to you, and don't worry about hurting peoples feelings. They wil get over it, or not even notice. How do they know it was because the picture was no longer useful vs someone that canceled them CC account?

Life goes on, don't sweat the small stuff. There are much bigger issues out there to spend your time worrying about.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 23

I agree with most that I wouldn't even know if someone had "unfavored" one of my cakes. I wouldn't worry about explaining myself for taking their cake out of my favorites. You don't owe that to anyone.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 23

I had NO IDEA you could un-favorite and that u could also see how many un fav u have... I don't use my cc photos as a way to see how good/bad my work is... I share and if they like it...good... if they save it...good.... if they comment..good... but if they don't do any of the above.... hey there could be a millions reasons why...so I don't bother...

Your daughter is your priority... if u start thinking about everything you do or say here in cc how it might or might not hurt someone's feelingas.... u wouldn't be able to write/post/ask/say anything....

I would un-fav and u know your reason... and it's not cause u are un friending (is that a word? lol) them... so go ahead and I don't see a need to PM anything...

Good Luck... and hope your daughter finds someone that deserves her love and affection better than that previous one...

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 23

I fav and unfav all of the time. I had fav'd Batman/Spiderman/Super Hero cakes for quite sometime. I made my grandosn his Batman cake in March and now I un-fav'd all of those cakes. I have enough cakes in my fav's the way it is and on occasion I remove those that I know I would not even attempt or no longer would use the idea. There is nothing personal about any of it.

I wish that CC would implement some type of system where you could put your fav's in categories as looking through 60 pages of fav's is mind boggling!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 23

If someone gives you a hard time for un-favoriting their cake photo, they really need to get something more serious to worry about. But judging from the number of posts from people who are whining that nobody has complimented their photo, I guess you might come across someone who would give you a hard time. Oh well, if that's the only thing they have to get offended about, they must be doing pretty well, and you shouldn't be concerned.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 23

You could always "gift" your daughter a CC membership of her own icon_smile.gif

Poor thing. Hope all turns out well for her.

wyovol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyovol Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:47pm
post #16 of 23

Yeah, I agree with the others. It is a bit unrealistic to keep every "favorite" forever. Especially when you are looking for inspiration for a particular cake. When I was making my son's birthday cake I had a lot of transformers cakes in my favorites file. Once the cake was made, I "un-favorited" them. It wasn't that I didn't like them anymore, I just didn't need to keep 10-15 Transformers cakes. I'm sure I'll do the same with the next theme I need....

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #17 of 23

Is this 4 real?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #18 of 23

I favorite cakes I have put a comment on, so I can find it again to check if there is a reply. I also have a couple that I give the links to others regularly.

cardicleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicleo Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:11am
post #19 of 23

I do watch for a few days to see if my cake is a favourite, only to see if I might have inspired someone. I am not really bothered if it is someones fav or not. It is just nice to have a gallery of your own cakes. I use the pics on here for inspiration or to look at if I am really impressed and hopefully my skills will improve to resemble some of my favourites. I sometimes do unfav some as the pages would be endless if I kept them all. It dosen't mean that I don't like them anymore, so I don't understand why somebody would get upset. Surely they don't keep all their favs. icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 23

I shamelessly delete favs all the time. If I've used that cake for it's needed inspiration, or if I just no longer want to see it, lol. I really don't understand people placing their self worth on how many people favorited or commented on their cakes. icon_confused.gif Is so immature. I've seen posts before saying, "Whahhhh, nobody liked my cake." Uh, maybe because it wasn't that great icon_surprised.gif Then a bunch of people leave nice comments and that person is happy. I just don't get it. icon_confused.gif If people can't know their cakes are good without affirmations from others than that is a personal problem. icon_cool.gif Sorry to rant. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:11am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenKat

Explain if you want but personally, I'd just do what i have to do. I wouldn't feel the need to explain. People change. Tastes change. I don't owe anyone an explanation for my tastes.
icon_biggrin.gif

It's really not an issue. If anyone is that sensitive, how do they deal with life?

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #22 of 23

Ditto!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

While I understand how it might feel bad if you have a cake that has just a few favorites, and the number goes down, I don't think you ought to feel obligated to keep cakes you no longer need as inspiration in your favorites list. Your favorites are for you, not for anyone else.

I just looked, and I have 75 pages of favorites (WOW... didn't realize it had gotten that big), and I usually find at least a few every day to add to that list. I have various reasons for doing so. Some are just so amazing, even though I'll never, ever be able to make a cake like that, I just love looking at them. Some are great and I think within my (eventual) skill level, so I want to make a cake like them. Some just have an element or a technique that I want to remember, even if I don't so much love the overall cake. Some I even stuck in there because I asked a question in the comments, and I wanted to be able to remember to go back and see if there was an answer.

I know, though, that in all the time I've been on here, though, I've got a lot of duplicate styles, and I really ought to go through and winnow down those to just the best examples. (I haven't yet, mostly because with no way to organize my favorites or search just through my favorites, it would be very time consuming to do it). When I do, though, I'm not going to worry about the people who the cakes belong to. My favorites list is to help me in making cakes, not to buoy up someone else emotionally. It's something I need to do so that I can find the things I'm looking for.

HTH

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:21am
post #23 of 23

I go through once in a while and trim down my favorites - nothing personal - but I just go crazy if I have to look through pages and pages of favorites - seriously I'd favorite 20X as many cakes as I do now otherwise - there are just way too many great new cakes posted every minuteicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%