Quadrupling A Cake Recipie...thought I'd Ask First!

Decorating By CakeryBakeryMelle Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 4:07am by tmac670

CakeryBakeryMelle Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:48am
post #1 of 3

Hey all!

Whew...I feel like i've been going through withdrawl bc i havent been on CC in literally months icon_smile.gif so its good to be back!

I'm doing a cake for a friend's bridal shower and its going to be a heart shaped bride. I bought the wilton 12" cake pan and it's actually alot bigger in person than i thought! so im thinking that I will need to 3X or maybe 4X my recipe just for one layer! This is a last minute cake so I'm going with a box cake mix (booo..i know lol!), and my question is, should I simply 3X or 4X the box recipe?? and if i do, what are the adjusments I make to the cooking time?

Thanks guys and gals!

2 replies
prterrell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:50am
post #2 of 3

If your mixing bowl will handle it, yes just multiply the ingredients on the back of the box times the number of box mixes you are using. No adjustment to temp required, although I prefer to do all cake baking at 325 to begin with. DO use a flower nail in the middle.

tmac670 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:07am
post #3 of 3

If you use the Wilton Wedding cake data page it shows how many cups of batter you need for each layer. Each box cake mix makes approx 5 cups batter (but I would suggest that you measure it- because doctored mixes probably make more). A heart shaped 12" layer takes 8 cups batter.

Here's the link to the page- http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%