Frustrated With Cake!! Need Pic Tutorial

Decorating By awestervelt Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm by Lee15

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 3

I have read numerous post on here about how to make a diamond pattern on a cake. I musy be dense or something because everytime I try it it looks like CRAP!! I have to deliver a cake tomorrow and I still haven't figured out how to do this technique. I am down to the last bit of fondant so I can't rip it off anymore and start over. i am going to go to bed and hopefully by morning I will have acrued more patients and someone will have posted on here step by step pictures for me to follow!! icon_biggrin.gif Thankyou so much in advance for all your help. I really need it and appreciate it.

2 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:56am
post #2 of 3

I've had the same problem! I find it's easier if you use a ruler to guide and space your lines. I've also read that using a diamond template on tracing paper helps (place the paper against the cake and then trace over it with a rolling cutter or quilting tool). You can also buy an impression mat icon_smile.gif

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 3

Since you need this for tomorrow, here is a solution for you. Measure your cake around - use a tape measure or a piece of ribbon so that you are exact. Once you get that measurement, you can determine the size of your diamond and how many diamonds will fit. Take a ruler and hold it on a slant and light score the first line with a veining tool. With that as your starting point, (and knowing how wide your diamond will be) continue marking. Once you completed marking in one direction, you will now go from the top of one to the bottom of the third one. This will start to create the diamonds. Continue in this pattern and you should be okay. Once you have finished marking, you can then go over the markings with a quilting tool.

This is really tedious and I am sure that someone else may have a quick solution for you. But just in case, this is a back-up plan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%