Do I Need Dowel Rods For This?

Decorating By kjskid Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 3:31am by SugarFrosted

kjskid Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 6

A friend's daughter wants a tiered cake, but they basically only need one cake. So I was going to make an 8" 1-layer on top of a 10" 1-layer, so it has a tiered look, but isn't too much cake. Question is, do I need dowel rods to support the top layer? I'm thinking not, because it would just be like a 2-layer cake, right? I am going to put a cardboard under the 8" so they can cut it separate from the 10". I'm also thinking of putting a thin layer of icing on the 1 layer, but it still shouldn't need supports, should it?

5 replies
mamawrobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 6

You're right. I think the rule is supports for every 4 inches of cake. What you're planning on making is the same as a 2 layer cake. No supports needed. thumbs_up.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 6

I don't think you would need dowels for that. It's just 2 layers. It sounds very unattractive though! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

candicemorgannicholson Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 6

Wow mug you seem so rude with that comment. Who are you to say that anything is unattractive. That is so not cool of you.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:35am
post #5 of 6

Not trying to be rude. Certain things look unattractive, and 2 thin cakes stacked just looks weird. icon_rolleyes.gif I wasn't attacking her cake skills, just that style.

SugarFrosted Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:31am
post #6 of 6

You could add a little height by torting/filling each of the two cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%