Diamond Pattern

Decorating By mclean Updated 3 May 2010 , 2:17am by JenniferMI

mclean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclean Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:02am
post #1 of 8

Would someone be so kind as to advise me how to achieve this diamond pattern on this beautiful cake? Thank you so much!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1534992.html

7 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #2 of 8

When I did this pattern I used a quilting tool. THe picture looks to me like maybe they used a straight edge of some sort and pressed the lines. I am not sure about that part, maybe someone else will weigh in to help you. but here is what I learned from Colette Peters in her book, 'Cakes to Dream On'. Great book by the way.

First you have to mark the top edge evenly, and the way she says to do a round cake is to wrap a long strip of paper around the top circumference of the cake and cut it to that length. Take this strip and fold it in half, then in half again and so on until the sections are the width you are looking for. then wrap the strip back around the top of the cake and mark with a pin or a toothpick where each fold is.

The next thing is to make a right triangle out of flexible cardboard or card stock. One straight side (from the right angle) should be the height of the cake up to the point you marked. The other straight side (from the right angle) should sit flat on your work surface. You will then use the diagonal side as an edge to run your quilting tool along, or whatever you choose to make the lines with. Just make the diagonal side at whatever slant looks good to you when you stand it up by the cake.

Make the first line along the diagonal side, then move the triangle straight back to the next mark and make a line, and so on around the cake. you should end up with diagonal lines all the same direction around. Flip the triangle so that the diagonal lines will go the other direction and repeat around the cake. You should then have your diamonds. Hope that makes sense, once you get going it is pretty easy. Happy decorating!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 8

you can also use a diamond impression mat, you can find them on cake decorating supply websites

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 8

You can also use a diamond press like Jennifer Dontz uses in her video. Not sure what it's official name is but it looks like a cookie cutter with 3 diamonds stacked vertically. I used the mat but it's not easy on a round cake. In either case it really helps to go over the pattern with a stitching wheel.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:46am
post #5 of 8

I have diamond cutters for fondant/gumpaste that can achieve this look.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 8

I believe that Jen Dontz uses this on her dvd:

h t t p : / / w w w . c o u n t r y k i t c h e n s a . c o m / c a t a l o g / S e a r c h R e s u l t s . a s p x

(without the spaces)

I just purchased the large quilter.

mclean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclean Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you for all of your responses. I am interpreting the diamonds on this cake to be quite large....probably not from a diamond impression mat....and that was stumping me...aside from the fact that I have never tried to create this type of look before. I am quite nervous about it but appreciate the help!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #8 of 8

Those layers don't look very high at all. You could get the look by using the large diamond quilter. If you need more info, I'm happy to help, just PM me.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%