Is This Fair To Myself And The Customer?

Business By TheGoods Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm by PinkZiab

TheGoods Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 15

My apologies in advance because I know these kind of questions are annoying, but I just gotta ask.

I have 2 types of pies- coconut "cream" pie and chocolate mousse pie that I sold for the first time today at the farmer's market. They're both vegan and organic with healthy, all-natural ingredients. They have cookie-crumb pie crusts and everything (crust included) is made from scratch. The ingredients alone (not factoring in cost of utilities/insurance/farmer's market fees/etc) cost me $11 per pie. It takes me longer than it should to make the pies, but I'm hoping with practice to shave it down to 1/2 hr per pie. I charged $18 at the farmer's market today for each 9", 2 1/2 Lb pie. Does that seem reasonable? Fair to the customer and to myself?

14 replies
Doug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 15

dirt cheap to customer

rip off to you.

both vegan and organic????

over $20 easily.

the first number that popped into my head was $24 (which would be $3 a slice for 8 slice pie -- very in line with what a normal slice (not vegan or organic) would cost in a restaurant)

dalis4joe Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 15

yeah... organic is very healthy and good for you but it comes at a higher price... everything organic is always higher because the quality of the ingredients is more expensive... you should be charning more.... I know it must be a lot of work and people are willing to pay for a quality product...

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 15

i think $24 as someone else said is totally reasonable. Up the price!

psurrette Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 15

I do beleive that 24 should be more like it. I have found at our farmers market poeple expect cheaper prices..................this is why I dont do them.

TheGoods Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 15

Thanks guys! I was feeling like it's a lot of work for not much pay but I still had people tell me I was charging too much! I also had customers who were really excited to see organic stuff though. I think psurette is right in that people want organic food at conventional prices.

anasazi17 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:25am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

I do beleive that 24 should be more like it. I have found at our farmers market poeple expect cheaper prices..................this is why I dont do them.

I totally agree with you. We did them for to get our name out for a little bit. I noticed in our area customers wanted dirt cheap baked goods but are ok with $20 beef jerky or $8/lb organic cheese.

You could sell them for much more in a niche market!!!

Good Luck!

tinygoose Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoods

Thanks guys! I was feeling like it's a lot of work for not much pay but I still had people tell me I was charging too much! I also had customers who were really excited to see organic stuff though. I think psurette is right in that people want organic food at conventional prices.

You may want to also consider selling by the slice. How many pieces can you get from a 9"? Probably 6 good slices? 6 slices @ $5=30, still better than $24 and takes care of those customers who are looking for a lower price point. $5 a slice or $24 a pie, everyone happy.

TheGoods Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:55am
post #9 of 15

That's a great suggestion! Thanks, tinygoose!

Peridot Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 15

How do pies fit into cake deocrating business forum? Just asking....... as the powers to be seem to really frown on this kind of thing.

KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 15

I agree the price should be closer to $25!

However, is it possible to offer a "regular" counterpart......so when people cringe over the price you could say.........well I do offer a non-vegan pie and it's only $15!

The people who CARE that it's vegan will PAY because it's vegan!

Hey if I was a vegan I'd probably pay $50 or more for a chocolate mousse pie that I could actually eat!!!!!!! lol

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 15

Your time is worth more than $7.

TheGoods Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 15

Sorry if this is a mis-placed thread. I thought it best fit here because of the "business" part.

That's a great idea to offer a conventional pie too so people can understand what the difference is. It's the organic part that makes it so costly though, not the vegan part. I'll incorporate some non-organic stuff next time and see how it goes. Thanks!

CookieMakinMomma Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 15

The OP's thread is not misplaced. There is no pie forum. This is the only business forum, so this is where you put a business question. Duh.

PinkZiab Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

How do pies fit into cake deocrating business forum? Just asking....... as the powers to be seem to really frown on this kind of thing.

Pricing is a business question. It doesn't always have to be about cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%