Measurements And I Do Not Get Along.

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 7

For the life of me I cannot measure box sides, figure out cake measurements....and then have the measurements actually MATCH UP on cake decorating day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doing a gift bag cake today and geez if I haven't had to use more royal icing "caulk" to make the sides match up...in some places like a whole half an inch, and that doesn't even count the 3/4" chunk of cake I had to slice off the end and re-ice.

Gracious. No wonder I usually "eyeball" stuff. But making box sides you just have to measure!

Incidentally, to whoever told me to use a sheet of vinyl to dry box sides...THANK YOU! Best gift bag sheets of fondant I've ever made..well...except...they were a bit too small. BUT they were not wrinkly. thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 7

I took a class with Browen Weber and she called rulers 'evil sticks'! She said she tries to avoid them and uses her hand or fingers to measure.

Kitagrl Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 7

The hardest thing for me is making things to dry before I"ve even baked the cake. Guaranteed to NOT work for me. haha.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 7

I've been in that boat too and you know what I do?? I bake the cake, wrap and freeze and then use them as my guide and make templates for what I need to go on them! works every time!

Kitagrl Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 7

I guess I need to do that. Since I can't for the life of me use a pan measurement and do the math, evidently. So much for my math teaching degree. haha.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:46am
post #6 of 7

lol@ Kita!!

by the way, I absolutely LOVE that cake in your avatar......I don't know how it slipped past me.....it's soooo striking and amazing!! If I had only known you 7 yrs. ago when I got married in South Jersey, girl!!! I would have been calling you!!! (would have been nice to have a CHOICE of cake flavors too! lol)

Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

lol@ Kita!!

by the way, I absolutely LOVE that cake in your avatar......I don't know how it slipped past me.....it's soooo striking and amazing!! If I had only known you 7 yrs. ago when I got married in South Jersey, girl!!! I would have been calling you!!! (would have been nice to have a CHOICE of cake flavors too! lol)

Aww thanks...'course I probably wouldn't have been able to DO it 7 years ago. haha. I had just moved here and had only used fondant maybe 3 times. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%