Measurements And I Do Not Get Along.

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 7

For the life of me I cannot measure box sides, figure out cake measurements....and then have the measurements actually MATCH UP on cake decorating day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doing a gift bag cake today and geez if I haven't had to use more royal icing "caulk" to make the sides match up...in some places like a whole half an inch, and that doesn't even count the 3/4" chunk of cake I had to slice off the end and re-ice.

Gracious. No wonder I usually "eyeball" stuff. But making box sides you just have to measure!

Incidentally, to whoever told me to use a sheet of vinyl to dry box sides...THANK YOU! Best gift bag sheets of fondant I've ever made..well...except...they were a bit too small. BUT they were not wrinkly. thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
BuncoHappens Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 7

I took a class with Browen Weber and she called rulers 'evil sticks'! She said she tries to avoid them and uses her hand or fingers to measure.

Kitagrl Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 7

The hardest thing for me is making things to dry before I"ve even baked the cake. Guaranteed to NOT work for me. haha.

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 7

I've been in that boat too and you know what I do?? I bake the cake, wrap and freeze and then use them as my guide and make templates for what I need to go on them! works every time!

Kitagrl Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 7

I guess I need to do that. Since I can't for the life of me use a pan measurement and do the math, evidently. So much for my math teaching degree. haha.

KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:46am
post #6 of 7

lol@ Kita!!

by the way, I absolutely LOVE that cake in your avatar......I don't know how it slipped past me.....it's soooo striking and amazing!! If I had only known you 7 yrs. ago when I got married in South Jersey, girl!!! I would have been calling you!!! (would have been nice to have a CHOICE of cake flavors too! lol)

Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

lol@ Kita!!

by the way, I absolutely LOVE that cake in your avatar......I don't know how it slipped past me.....it's soooo striking and amazing!! If I had only known you 7 yrs. ago when I got married in South Jersey, girl!!! I would have been calling you!!! (would have been nice to have a CHOICE of cake flavors too! lol)

Aww thanks...'course I probably wouldn't have been able to DO it 7 years ago. haha. I had just moved here and had only used fondant maybe 3 times. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%