Final Cake Structure

Decorating By k_mun Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm by k_mun

k_mun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_mun Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,
I want to bounce this idea off you guys and see what you think.
I am making my first wedding cake and the couple asked for a 2 feet tall cake. I am going to have to incorporate dummy cakes. The cake actually should feed 130. What I am baking should feed in excess of that. All tiers will be atleast 4 inches thick with some sort of filling.

I want to work with the pans I have. What I have right now is a 13X19X2 pan and a 12 x2 round pan.
The base will be a 16x4'' square cake made from the 13X19X2 pan. I am thinking of cutting 3'' off from the longer side and attaching it to the shorter side with buttercream.
On top of it will be a dummy 14x4'' square, next will be an actual 12x4'' round cake, next 10x4'' round dummy, followed by an 8x4'' and 6x4'' round dummies.
If anything sounds wrong, let me know.

Thanks.

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 5

Are you being paid for this creation? If not, as I suspect as it is for a "friend", have her buy you a few pans. Watch the Michaels and Hobby Lobby ads for half off coupons and buy the sets. No the best quality, but better that than a cake that ends up looking like an earthquake hit, IMHO.

k_mun Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Are you being paid for this creation? If not, as I suspect as it is for a "friend", have her buy you a few pans. Watch the Michaels and Hobby Lobby ads for half off coupons and buy the sets. No the best quality, but better that than a cake that ends up looking like an earthquake hit, IMHO.

mc,
What sizes would you suggest?

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 5

For a cake for 130 (wedding slices)...6,8,10,12 inch pans. It will look pretty steep but don't have a clue how tall it would be. Figure about 4 inches for each tier, that will be the height using 2 layers of cake plus filling and icing. Wilton makes a pan set that includes those sizes and with your coupon should cost around 20 dollars. It would probably be a good idea for you to look into the tutorials found in the cake decorating stickies, lots of important info you will need to stack a cake safely.

k_mun Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%