Prevent A Large Cake From Falling?

Baking By Trinkerson Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm by Trinkerson

Trinkerson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trinkerson Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 4

How can I prevent a 12x18x3" cake from falling in the center? It's going to be marble and my oven tends to heat unevenly. I have baking strips, but I am not sure they will work. I def. don't want to have to do this one over or learn by trial and error with such a large cake. What do you think will keep it nice and even? Meringue powder maybe?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I searched for an hour for a topic about this and couldn't find one. Please forgive my newbieness icon_smile.gif

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 4

do you have any metal flower nails??? Put 1 in the center, or if you have 2 (even better) put 2 in there, evenly spaced.....maybe 1 flower nail every 6" from one side of the pan to the other.........(go 6" from the side of the pan, put a flower nail, move over another 6", put another flower nail)

That will help the inside to bake up quickly like the outside.

Also, with a 3" tall cake you'll probably want to lower your baking temp. to 325 (if you don't already do that) and that will keep your top from browning too much...........if you notice your top is browned enough but the cake isn't "done" then just lay a loose sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the cake to keep it from getting any darker and let it finish baking

HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 4

That's a really big cake to try to bake 3" deep. Would you consider baking tow layers separately?

Trinkerson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trinkerson Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 4

I really appreciate the replies. I do have flower nails, so I will try that and make sure I give myself plenty of time just in case I do need to do two layers. I will lower the temp. to 325 and watch the top to keep it from browning. Thanks so much ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%