Fading Fondant, Please Help!!!

Decorating By jjsweetdesign Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm by Ballymena

jjsweetdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjsweetdesign Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 9

So, yesterday I colored my mmf for a cake due on Saturday. The cake is buttercream, with fondant accents. I am making daises in different colors, polka dots, curly cues. I made, green, pink, purple, and yellow. This morning, I am checking on my daises to see how they are drying, and the pink is totally faded out. Any suggestions. I looked at my extra in the bag I had left over, and it was faded also. Most of the time, my fondant get darker after sitting. Any suggestions, or solutions would be most appreciated! Thanks so much!

8 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 9

Unfortunately pinks and purples are known for fading. Most colors do get darker but if those are left uncovered at all they'll fade terribly. You will probably have to start completely over. I'm sorry! Maybe someone else will pipe in with more words of wisdom and maybe a solution!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 9

Do you have petal or luster dust to intensify the colors, you could try that.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 9

Pink and purple will fade in sunlight and florescent lights.

You can paint over them after they are done to help with the fading.

APieceofCake75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APieceofCake75 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 9

I would paint them with icing color or luster dust mixed with everclear or vodka..It will make them shiny too.

jjsweetdesign Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions. I have done pink before, and never had problems with it fading. Oh well, I think I will probably paint it with some luster dust! Thanks. everyone.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 9

Here's the history on why red fades....it goes back to the 1970's: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653200-red.html+dye

And since purple is made up of red and blue, purple is also a 'frequently fade-able' color. icon_wink.gif

jjsweetdesign Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks, Debi~ I ended up painting some of my accents, and mixed some new pink fondant up too. I put those in a cupboard to dry (in the dark ) . Hopefully that will help. I'll see how it looks in the morning. Thanks for the history lesson!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 9

Here's an interesting happening. I have a display cake in a shop that is in the front of a warehouse and has incandescent lighting. All the colors are okay except the once pretty pink gum paste roses are now a very pretty evenly colored light green. Looks like the color was original.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%