I'm Stumped...ice Cream Theme Cake

Decorating By jerseygirlNga Updated 16 May 2010 , 2:55pm by Kerry_Kake

jerseygirlNga Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 13

I have a request for an ice cream theme cake and I have some ideas but I'm stuck on execution. Hope your ideas can help me out!

Request: Ice Cream Sundae Cake (3D, of course & I'm not a carver! I'm too chicken!! ) 3 flavors total: vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, fondant covered. I have creative license on everything else.

Here is what I was thinking:

8" round (maybe two inch high) with a bundt cake (torted and filled) on top. Thin out a little more of the top of the bundt cake & cover both sections. I thought the ridges of the bundt pan should help give an ice cream bowl effect. Once covered in white fondant, I was thinking about using a greyish blue petal dust to give a little depth to those ridges...assuming that I can cover those ridges!

Then make cupcakes, cover each in fondant to resemble scoops of ice cream. PROBLEM 1 Have NO idea How.

I have already made some colored sprinkles, a large piped (royal icing) swirl of whipped cream, a cherry and large spoon. I am going to try to make a chocolate fudge sauce using chocolate fondant and PAM to give it that shine needed, once I have my "scoops" completed.

Your thoughts will be appreciated. My biggest problems are the bowl and scoops so your thoughts are critical! If you have another idea of how to create a bowl for this sundae...please don't hesitate to offer.

12 replies
Sucrea Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 13

I think that you are off to a great start. I like the idea of using the bundt cake as the top of the bowl. If it were me, I wouldn't totally cover the cupcakes. I would place them in the bowl, frost them and then place a circle of fondant with scalloped edges over the top of each cupcake. When you bake the cupcakes, fill it pretty full and you should get a nice rounded top so you won't have to carve. I think it will turn out very cute!!

cakeaddiction Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 13

Why not bake the cupcakes in icecream cones then swirl on the top to look like icecream.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1321632

And I love this cake:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1638788

HTH
Wendy

mirda6275 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 13

You could also bake your bowl in a large glass pyrex bowl then bake the scoops in either the smaller glass bowl or a mini-wonder mold pan and then decorate from there? Cupcakes would work well, maybe over fill them so they bake up with a bigger dome?

tastyart Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 13

Right now i don't have a good idea on the bowl. If I come up with one, I'll let you know. For the scoops of icecream they only have to be sort of round. Icecream scoops are never perfectly round. I hope you will post pictures when you are finished. It sounds very interesting.

aussiecook Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:51am
post #6 of 13

Oh i made an icecream sundae cake for my niece when she was about 7.

There is an icing you can use which is made from egg white and icing sugar. Can't remember the recipe but it ends up very glossy.
Make some small round cakes, ice with pink, green & chocolate icing{use icing from above}. to represent round scoops of icecream. you can either shape a cake like a banana or use a fresh banana.
So you carve a cake in the shape of a bowl. ice the sides with say brown icing, to make a dish.
then use the white egg white icing, and ice the top of the cake. Place the icecream balls on this. Assembly like an icecream sunday, using the banana, some topping, sprinkle with nuts or dollarettes, whipped cream and a cherry on top.

this cake looks so real, when i made it my niece's uncle thought it was really icecream.

mama2_3 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 13

For the fudge sauce, could yo use chocolate ganache poured over? That second picture that cakeaddiction posted is really cute. You could do that and put all three flavors in the bowl.

aussiecook Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:34am
post #8 of 13

probably could, but the thick icecream topping is easier.

jerseygirlNga Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:53am
post #9 of 13

The cake was a hit but I did have a small problem with the "bundt" layer. After torting and filling...its shape was a little distorted. I think when I was "assembling" I may have put the layers back in the wrong order. Its okay though.

I did cover cupcakes to look like ice cream...textured the top
The chocolate fudge was, chocolate fondant cut and "shined" with Pam...
I'm trying to post the picture without much luck. Since this was just my 3rd cake, I'm pleased with the results and so was the recipient.

Thanks for your help[/img]

aussiecook Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 13

No probs
glad i could help.
The bowl- I just made a round cake and shaped it, and scooped out the middle in a oval shape.

noahsmummy Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 13

i made a sundae cake ot long ago, cake in my pics, the bowl was my main cake. i just had two round stacked, the carved the sloping edges and covered in fondant. for the ice cream scoops, i was going to cup cakes.. but instead.. i cut circles out of a nother cake and shaped them up a bit. i iced them in buttercream because, a) i was lazy and it was a free cake for an extremley rude girl who i shouldnt be making a cake for anyway and b) i thought it looked a bit more realistic. ie, you can "fluff up" the b/c to give it that icecream type texture. then i did a fat star tip with b/c for whipped cream, and used ganache for the chocolate suace, sprinkled with chopped nuts.. and done! free tip, if you go for gnache wait until its cool before you pour it on..else you end up with the effect of melting "whipped cream" and "ice-cream" lol. whoopsie!

imartsy Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 13

Shoot it looks like your image didn't attach - I would love to see what your final product looked like! Those two cakes cakeaddiction posted were too cute!

Kerry_Kake Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 13

Saving post...just to see the picture of the cake, lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%