Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 9 May 2010 , 9:08pm by NatiMF30

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 25

Hi CC Family,

Can I use Swiss Meringue Buttercream to pipe a character cake? Does it color well? Can i use it to frost a cake that has to be covered with fondant?

Thanks.

24 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:23am
post #2 of 25

The answer to all of your questions is yes.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #3 of 25

I was wondering the same! I even posted my question on other forum. I'm covering a SMBC cake with SI, do I freeze it before covering or just well chilled? TIA

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:34am
post #4 of 25

I have found that SMBC does NOT take a bright or darker color as well as an American buttercream (powder sugar and shortening/ butter). Pastel and mid-range colors are okay, but vibrant does not turn out well.

prterrell Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #5 of 25

miny, you don't need to freeze the cake. just stick it in the fridge until the butterfat resolidifies, about an hour will do it usually.

I've never had a problem getting a deep rich color using IMBC which is practically identical to SMBC. What brand of color are you using, lorieleann?

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #6 of 25

What is the difference between IMBC, SMBC and just BC?? Taste? texture? Do they all crust? Get stiff enough for flowers, and such? Thanks

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:31am
post #7 of 25

Merigue buttercreams do not crust.... to smooth use a hot spatula before putting in the fridge.... Tastes amazing & has a texture like a cloud. You can pipe just fine with it.... To get a deep rich color take a portion of bc that you want to color add color then nuke it (15 secs) or put it another bowl of hot water... This will melt it which helps take color better.... whisk and you should have the perfect color.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 25

Thanks Cakeanddazzele, I will have to try them.

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:21am
post #9 of 25

thanks

prterrell Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:33am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger6361

What is the difference between IMBC, SMBC and just BC?? Taste? texture? Do they all crust? Get stiff enough for flowers, and such? Thanks

1st off there is not such thing as "just BC". I assume you mean the Wilton recipe of fat + PS (and I stand by the assertion that if it doesn't contain actual butter, then it's not buttercream, but I digress).

IMBC and SMBC are the same except in the procedure used to create the meringue portion. Look up some recipes for each and the difference will be readily apparent.

IMBC and SMBC do not crust. You can use them for everything, frosting the cake, under fondant, all piping (including flowers) without having to change the consistency.

As for the taste, either you love them, or you hate them. Those that truly love the taste of criscocream, usually don't care for these as they are very buttery. They are also not as sweet. They are light and silken and rich. Personally, I can't stand criscocream and I adore the European buttercreams.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:42am
post #11 of 25

Yep:
-SMBC and IMBC are the same except for the cooking method.
-Be sure to add flavor to it...vanilla extract for vanilla ect.
-They take very well to other flavors, chocolate is divine!
-It pipes nice
-Doesn't take to colors as well as american bc but it can be done
pI chill mine for 20 minutes and then place fondant on it

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #12 of 25

prterrell-

Quote:
Quote:

I stand by the assertion that if it doesn't contain actual butter, then it's not buttercream, but I digress

I completely agree, so much so that I may need to breakdown and put that in my signature line!!

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #13 of 25

Aren't both of the meringue buttercreams a pain to make? I have never tried them since I can make American BC with my eyes closed. I want to try them both (in all my spare time) ha ha. Does anyone recommend which to try first?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:31am
post #14 of 25

Yes, they are both time consuming compared to American BC but I prefer this BC as it is a true BC and I want a quality product for my clients...plus it's a very versatile BC which takes on many different flavors which make great fillngs.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:52am
post #15 of 25

I tried IMBC first (Mousseline Buttercream from the Cake Bible) as a complete newbie four years ago, having never even owned a candy thermometer in my life. I found it surprisingly easy. Time consuming as ladyonzlake says, yes, but not hard. I just followed the directions precisely. Although I do find that using room temp butter as directed often resulted in having to pass through that dreaded "soupy" stage. I prefer to use my butter colder than room temp (but not straight out of the fridge).

After making IMBC numerous times I decided to take a stab at SMBC but for me, although the process is essentially easier, I have consistently had a hard time not "scrambling" the eggs. I finally gave up and decided to stick with IMBC. Many people who don't have that problem feel that SMBC is much easier to make...so again, that is really a matter of where your strengths and weaknesses lie. I like IMBC anyway becasue supposedly it is stable in warm weather for a few xtra degrees, and also since I use pasteurized egg whites I don't need to worry about whether or not the eggs are cooked to safe temp (in SMBC they are guaranteed to be cooked to safe temp, if you use a thermometer; in IMBC there is much debate about it).

For those that think it's too buttery...I agree with prterrell - some people simply don't like this kind of icing. Fortunately, most people I have baked for just love it - they cannot believe cake can taste so good. To help ensure it goes over well, I do recommend using a LOT of vanilla (like 3TBSP per recipe, not 3 TSP). I can tell the difference...2T tastes like butter, 3T tastes like silky delight. The addition of melted chocolate is a great one too!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:42am
post #16 of 25

I just made SMBC yesterday for the first time... and although I got the consistency wrong (I was advice as to why and how to fix it) the flavor is amazing.... like stated above... like a cloud.... not too sweet... and very silky smooth looking... I will try again or sure and like I said it's my first time (I always use the Wilton BC (WITH BUTTER) and now Sharon (SugarShack) and I love them specially sugarshacks BC... it is super tasty and incredibly great for coating your cakes and wirking with it.... but I will give SMBC and IMBC another try... divine flavor....

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #17 of 25

You ladies inspired me to try both! I have always used real butter in my buttercream but some people like a lighter icing. Thanks icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:09pm
post #18 of 25

Personally, I find IMBC easier to make than powdered sugar frosting. For one thing, I don't have all the PS dust everywhere to clean up! Also, I have a digital candy thermometer w/ alarm and a stand mixer, so I can do other things while preparing the frosting.

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #19 of 25

I made some SMBC yesterday (which I've made before) but for some reason it became thick and clumpy/curdley looking AFTER all the butter was added and I had just added my vanilla and buttery sweet dough extract. It wasn't silky and smooth like I had make just a week ago. Can anyone give some suggestions as to why? I know it's supposed to "curdle" while mixing in the butter but this time it did not happen until the very end. I thought I could whip it more to fix it but it just seemed to get worse. ??? I have to make more today so any help would be greatly appreciated! icon_cry.gif Thank you!

FYI - I did everything per recipe, nothing different.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:47pm
post #20 of 25

NatiMF30-

That's happened to me too, and not sure why. I just beat it longer until the lumpiness slowly disappears. Unless they are chunks of butter from being too cold, but if it's smooth when you smear it, just keep beating. icon_smile.gif

NatiMF30 Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:02pm
post #21 of 25

I just tried another batch and it looked like it was going to do the same thing but I kept the mixer going and it looks (and tastes) great! I guess it just takes a bit longer than I was expecting. Maybe due to the humidity here in TX. ?? Thank you for your help! I know I can always count on the CakeCentral for quick answers!

prterrell Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #22 of 25

The great thing about the meringue buttercreams is they can pretty much always be rescued. If it's looking wrong, it's because it's either too hot or too cold. Popping in the fridge for a *few* minutes and then rewhipping or heating the bowl w/ a blowdryer while whipping will pretty much always fix it!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #23 of 25

I make all the "creams", but I have to say SMBC is my absolute favorite! I used it as a filling and and frosting and for decorating as well as for under fondant. I add dulce de leche and its literally to die for!!!!!! I also find it much less messy to make than those with powdered sugar!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

The great thing about the meringue buttercreams is they can pretty much always be rescued. If it's looking wrong, it's because it's either too hot or too cold. Popping in the fridge for a *few* minutes and then rewhipping or heating the bowl w/ a blowdryer while whipping will pretty much always fix it!

^what she said^ icon_biggrin.gif

In your case it sounds like the butter was too cold. Generally speaking: clumpy, curdly MBC means the butter was too cold, so continuing to beat it will eventually get it there from pure friction (for lack of a better word). I like to warm the bowl w/a warm dish towel though. If rather than being clumpy, it has totally separated into a soupy liquidy nightmare, it was too warm and refrigerating it does the trick. I have had it so soupy I was SURE I would have to throw it out...I mean I couldn't even beat it, the liquid was splashing out of the bowl. I actually had to put the bowl in the freezer for 15 min before I could rescue it. Sure, it got too COLD and hit the curdly stage, but eventually it came together beautifully.

NatiMF30 Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #25 of 25

Thank all of you so much! These responses answer each "what if" questions I had. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%