Covering Cake Board

Decorating By bntbushnell Updated 1 May 2010 , 8:43pm by rosiecast

bntbushnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bntbushnell Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 15

Is it ok to use foil wrapping paper to cover a cake board?
and do you actually sit the cake on the paper, or make sure the cake is on a cake board the size of the cake first? Ive seen alot of cake board covered in what looks like foil wrapping paper on here. thanks

14 replies
cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 15

i've done it both ways,if using a cake board on top of foil just make sure you use some icing to glue down the cake..

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 15

In order to decorate and store your cake tiers you first place them on (food safe) cardboard bases the size and shape of the product. Right? So yes, you will have a barrier between the cake and foil wrapping paper. What you are seeing are called cake drums. Here http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=522&s=&name=Cake%20Boards,%20Boxes,%20Doiles,%20Foil%20&%20Ruffle/Rectangle%201/2%20Inch%20Foil%20Drums is an example.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 15

I prefer what it's called fancy foil, it looks like aluminum paper but it's stronger.
You gotta be careful with the foil paper since it can be cut easily with a knife. It could be a problem when serving a cake.
I love the cake drums too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 15

Just my 2 pennies icon_smile.gif I like to cover my boards in fondant that matches the cake. It gives a very cohesive look while making the board totally food safe.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 15

The foil you see is not, or at least probably shouldn't be, regular gift-wrapping paper. It is food safe foil, laminated to make it stronger so little pieces of foil don't end up on somebody's bite of cake. You can put a cake directly on it, but I usually leave the cake on the cake cardboard to prevent cutting the foil and because it's just easier to place it on the decorative board that way. The cake drums are pre-covered, which is great because it's impossible to get a really smooth edge when covering a round board with foil.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 15

Covering the board with fondant is a great idea, if done right. I also lovelovelove the puff board bases http://www.earlenescakes.com/drapespg2.htm made by Earlene Moore. In fact she sets the standard, IMHO, for her lovely, delicate cake boards and bases.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 15

The 3 things I use mainly to cover my boards are:
1. Fancifoil
2. Gift wrap that will coordinate with my cake design, but I cover it in food safe cello paper.
3. Lately, I have been using plastic colored table cloths. They are food safe and very inexpensive.

The cake below is a cake I did for a cake walk at an elementary school with their mascot. The cover is a yellow plastic table cloth that I bought at the dollar store.
LL

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 15

Don't foreget florist foil paper. You can use that to cover a board as well, and it's fairly thick.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Don't foreget florist foil paper. You can use that to cover a board as well, and it's fairly thick.

Is it food safe?

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 15

I like to cover mine with contact paper.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 15

I love to cover the boards in fondant too, but sometimes is not in a budgets person to cover for this extra work. But they do look awesome when you can do them like that.
Edna icon_smile.gif

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 15

I usually use 1/2" thick foam core board cut to size, and then cover that in a coordinating scrapbook paper (or wrapping paper) and then cover that contact paper. ribbon trim to cover the raw edge of the board.

bntbushnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bntbushnell Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 15

so is contact paper, food safe? i wasnt sure about that

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8sMom

The 3 things I use mainly to cover my boards are:
1. Fancifoil
2. Gift wrap that will coordinate with my cake design, but I cover it in food safe cello paper.
3. Lately, I have been using plastic colored table cloths. They are food safe and very inexpensive.

The cake below is a cake I did for a cake walk at an elementary school with their mascot. The cover is a yellow plastic table cloth that I bought at the dollar store.

The plastic tablecloth is a great idea. !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%