How Do You Apply Disco Dust?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 8 Mar 2014 , 9:22pm by shanter

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 16

I've never used it before... how do you apply disco dust to gumpaste or fondant? Thanks.

15 replies
Lyndseyb52 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 16

Is it an all over sparkle you are going for?

I use the white/hologram disco glitter the most so I just sprinkle it all over the finished cake, it's gorgeous. If it's a similar colour to your fondant you don't have to bee too careful, just sprinkle it more carefully if it's a very different shade so you don't see any clumps.

I'm not sure if that's the 'proper' way to do it but I'm happy with the effect I get.

Lyndsey xx

bbmom Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 16

Because it is so fine I dip a dry fluffy unused paint bush(that I keep just for disco dust) in the jar then tap it lightly over the item I want to sparkle...usually cookies but I have dusted a cake this way as well.

joyfullysweet Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 16

Do you need to wet anything? Can you apply it to gumpaste decorations that have already hardened?

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 16

I'm curious too... do you have to wet anything and can you apply it to hardend gum paste?

I'm going to be making a cut out fairy for the top of the cake so I want to apply it to her dress and the star on the magic wand.

Thanks!

linstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 16

Just use some gum glue on the surface first (i.e. the GP or fondant) and then roll in the DD. Will stick just fine.

BREN28 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 16

i used disco dust on the # 1 on my winnie the pooh and freinds cake,and i applied it just the way linstead said. use some edible glue,then sprinkle on the dd.

artscallion Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 16

I put on my white suit, stand with my legs apart, bump my hips tot he beat, raise one arm over my head and flick it down onto the cake with a great flourish. Works every time!

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 16

I brush the pieces with egg whites and then sprinkle the disco dust......the egg whites set up clear and seal in the disco dust!
LL

mama2_3 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I put on my white suit, stand with my legs apart, bump my hips tot he beat, raise one arm over my head and flick it down onto the cake with a great flourish. Works every time!

I bet it's fun to watch you bake! icon_lol.gif

iamcakin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

icon_lol.gif hahahahaah...this made my day! icon_lol.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 16

artscallion: you made me laugh so hard!!! Thanks for that!!

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 16

oh man artscallion.....................your post wasn't there when I posted.......you crack me up!!

obabassa Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:36am
post #14 of 16

I just lightly paint my piece of gumpaste with vodka and spinkle the disco dust on. Coats very well. Shake off excess off on a piece of paper and return to bottle.

varnerfam Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 4:24pm
post #15 of 16

what color of disco dust did you use on the center ball?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%