First And Last Wedding Cake Order

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 1:05pm by all4cake

cakesbydina Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:23am
post #1 of 25

I am just shattered when I read the email I woke up to this morning. The bride and groom hated my cupcakes and their guests refused to eat them. They still have the top part of my cupcake stand and are supposed to be mailing it today. I can just imagine everyone at the wedding talking about how bad I bake and it just hurts so much. I admit my cupcakes were not the best I have ever made, I redid them once but had no more time and didn't know what the problem was to begin with. I never have bad cake experiences. I need new recipes that are more gourmet I guess. I am never doing a wedding again!!!

24 replies
mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:34am
post #2 of 25

I am sorry that your day started out this way. Did she say what was wrong with the cupcakes other than her guest "refused to eat them"? What kind of cupcakes did you make? Out of curiosity I'd like to see the evidence of all of those uneaten cupcakes.

I've never met a cupcake that I didn't like icon_lol.gif

bobhope Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:34am
post #3 of 25

sorry to hear that...maybe we could use this as a challenge to be better at what we do...

cakes47 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:44am
post #4 of 25

What terrible thing to happen!! I can't believe they hated them! And I certainly can't believe all her guests
''refused'' to eat them!! There are unscrupulous people out there and this could be her way of trying to get
her money back. Try to put this out of your mind. Please don't let this incident stop you from doing future weddings. I've seen your work and you do a NICE job on your cakes.

Mrs-A Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:08am
post #5 of 25

i can imagine a large group of guest at a wedding all deciding on mass that they wont eat cake/cupcake - heck, i'll eat anyone elses cake at a wedding!

i also wonder if the bride had a dessert buffet of some sort and with so much sweets available the cupcakes were left untouch... if that happened at all that is

Loucinda Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 25

What was the reasoning for you to remake them? Did you personally not care for them? What recipe did you use? (just trying to help figure out the trouble you had) I agree with the above on them not eating them en mass.....that sounds a litle much to me.

emrldsky Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 25

The only time I've taken a bite of a cupcake and refused to finish it was when it was so DRY, that I just couldn't force myself (I mean Sahara dry, folks).

Did you try one of them before you decorated and delivered? Did you try a new recipe you hadn't done before? What about icing? Some people (e.g., my coworker) really don't like to eat sweet icing (she says it makes her teeth hurt...I haven't made a cake for her birthday in two years). icon_wink.gif

It could be anything, from a matter of personal preference, to maybe over-baking (easily happens with cupcakes).

*hugs* Just try to find out what they didn't like about it, and determine for yourself if it was YOU or if it was their taste.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 25

Hugs and kisses! This will only make you stronge, if you dont let it break you. In this industry you will run into all kinds of people. Some sweet and kind, some mean and just plan nasty, and some you just cant please.

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 25

find out the cause of their unhapiness before offering a refund...........be slow to refund until you have all the facts!

i had a bride tell me once that nobody ate the cake because it tasted aweful and part was raw and part was burned and even told me (in a nasty note on my front door) that the piece they fed eachother was so "disgusting we couldn't even choke it down, and we were so embrassed to have to spit out cake out into napkins in front of all of our guests"

Turns out, she wasn't as well liked.......didn't have that many people show up, the ones that did loved the cake, she gave out my number all night to her guests, and people took home the left overs (since she had less than half of what she expected show up)

Get all the facts.......this bride wanted a full refund, but I did some investigating and thought about how I torted the cake and would have noticed raw or burned cake then. Also got the names of people at the wedding and offered them a 10% off coupon if they agreed to give me a review over the phone!! They agreed, and told me how they LOVED the cake and placed an order in the same conversation!

the bride got $0.00 back from me and later apologized stating the cake tasted awesome, we just had too much!! Not my problem!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 25

I agree, you need to find out WHY they were supposedly so terrible. I could be a very simple fix. Don't give up so easy! icon_rolleyes.gif

Adevag Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

find out the cause of their unhapiness before offering a refund...........be slow to refund until you have all the facts!

i had a bride tell me once that nobody ate the cake because it tasted aweful and part was raw and part was burned and even told me (in a nasty note on my front door) that the piece they fed eachother was so "disgusting we couldn't even choke it down, and we were so embrassed to have to spit out cake out into napkins in front of all of our guests"

Turns out, she wasn't as well liked.......didn't have that many people show up, the ones that did loved the cake, she gave out my number all night to her guests, and people took home the left overs (since she had less than half of what she expected show up)

Get all the facts.......this bride wanted a full refund, but I did some investigating and thought about how I torted the cake and would have noticed raw or burned cake then. Also got the names of people at the wedding and offered them a 10% off coupon if they agreed to give me a review over the phone!! They agreed, and told me how they LOVED the cake and placed an order in the same conversation!

the bride got $0.00 back from me and later apologized stating the cake tasted awesome, we just had too much!! Not my problem!

Wow, that's awful. I can't even try to understand what would go on inside the minds of people like that. To try to make a nice person who made a nice and delicious cake for our wedding get the nastiest note to make her feel so bad that she gives us her money back. Good for you to question her!
OP- your cakes are beautiful. do you know yourself what could have been the problem with the cupcakes?

leah_s Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 25

KHalstead, Cake Detective, at your service.

mayo2222 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:28pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

LOL thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

lol.......I had to be, it just didn't sit right. The worst part of it all was that I was super lenient on her, she literally paid for the cake 4 days before delivery and still owed $25 for delivery!

Her and her husband said they chose me as their baker because I was a Christian, and they were too and that was important to them!

The worst thing I think they said (aside from the f-bomb about 40 times telling me how I ruined their wedding, when I called them).....was they kept saying "I'm going to pray for you about this whole situation".....I tell ya what, that tested me beyond belief! That was about the hardest it's ever been to keep my mouth shut in my whole life!

Almost as if to say I was cheating THEM and how dare I as a confessing christian!

In any case, I knew several people that attended the wedding so it was easy to be a detective.

I think the OP should do that as well........find out exactly what went wrong and ask if they have any cupcakes left for you to look at. Also find out from venue staff if they noticed anyone cringing over the flavor. Generally when a cake is that horrible everyone in the room knows about it!

TucsonGina Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 25

Something smells fishy about the bride's comments. Don't let it bring you down. Your photos prove you do beautiful work. I think you should take KHalstead's, a/k/a Inspector Clouseau, advice do some checking . . . it will come out in the wash if the bride is being deceptive! Just think about those wedding cakes that will never be if you don't make them icon_cry.gif

TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbydina

I admit my cupcakes were not the best I have ever made, I redid them once but had no more time and didn't know what the problem was to begin with.

Can you describe what was wrong with the first batch? What didn't you like about the second batch.

To me it sounds like you feel there was something that could have been better, I would try to figure out if that was the same issues that the couple had with them.

I do think no one eating them sounds a little off, but then again there is always mob mentality. If it was a small wedding and everyone knew everyone and someone said hey don't eat the cupcakes they are really bad, I can see how that would go around. To me it is alot like people that won't even try fondant because they 'heard' how gross it was but had never tried it themselves.

hsmomma Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:27pm
post #17 of 25

Don't give up because of one complaint...especially because you don't even know if it is a "legit" one. Ask what they didn't like. Like everyone said, check into it.

Use it as a learning experience to never let anything go out your door that you aren't completely satisfied with. If you didn't have time to rebake...next time build in some extra time. Start earlier in case anything happens that needs fixing.

Like I said, don't give up!!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 25

The client I made this cake for hated it. One person's opinion doesn't always mean much.
LL

CBMom Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #19 of 25

OK, that cake is beautiful Mug-a-bug.
Someone must have had a bad experience with their Corn Flakes that morning to hate that cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Hugs, OP.... I think that if lovely little cupcakes can't make a Bride or her "guests" smile, then they've got some larger issues in life to deal with.

Make some more cupcakes, and take them to a teacher's meeting....or at a local shelter or food bank, or drop some off as a surprise at your Doctor's office, or your Pharmacy....those folks will LOVE your thoughtfulness, and appreciate your work....

And you'll feel better too!!

icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #20 of 25

mug a bug............one of the MOST beautiful cakes I've EVER seen!!!! Seemless and flawless at best!

costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:16pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbydina

I am just shattered when I read the email I woke up to this morning. The bride and groom hated my cupcakes and their guests refused to eat them. They still have the top part of my cupcake stand and are supposed to be mailing it today. I can just imagine everyone at the wedding talking about how bad I bake and it just hurts so much. I admit my cupcakes were not the best I have ever made, I redid them once but had no more time and didn't know what the problem was to begin with. I never have bad cake experiences. I need new recipes that are more gourmet I guess. I am never doing a wedding again!!!

I'm sorry that you had to wake up to that, but you're telling us that the cupcakes weren't good? What was wrong with them? Find out more details from the bride, but I'll be the one to say it, if you think the cupcakes weren't good then maybe this bride and her guests didn't either. I wouldn't eat a piece of cake or a cupcake if someone else took a bite and said "yuck," so why all of the suspicion from everyone about the bride's motives? I've had people try to scam me out of refunds too, but if the baker is saying they weren't good, maybe they weren't and a refund is in order.

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:36pm
post #22 of 25

I'm not saying to avoid refunds at all costs.........I'm just saying make sure that there really was a problem with the flavor.......since you can't always have proof of that.......everyone's tastes are different. Some people like whipped icing, some hate it........if this bride wants her money back because they tasted horrible TO HER, but they weren't actually horrible, then a refund wouldn't be in order.

However, if the OP does genuinely believe that there was something off about it....then by all means the bride should be compensated.

Tellis12 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:20pm
post #23 of 25

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm dreading this moment too! It seems all decorators have this happen to them at some point. Your gallery work is gorgeous. Just do the best you can to figure out if its a legit claim or not and go from there.

dreamcakesmom Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:48pm
post #24 of 25

That is a terrible way to start your day. I guess the first question is do you believe the brides claims? It sort of sounds like maybe you do from your info about already remaking them. Did you taste any from the batch you sent out. If not that's lesson #1 always taste part of your product. Even cakes I always make sure I either bake off a cupcake or plan on slicing off the hump so I can taste a bit. There's always room for error and it's easy enough to catch with 1 bite. Anyways obviously if you believe the claim a refund and an apology is the way to start. Next step- go back to the drawing board with recipes. The Cake Bible is a great reference book, Confetti cakes by Elisa strauss is a current hit for decorating as well and there are lots more out there. Don;t quit, just keep trying!

all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:05pm
post #25 of 25

Not saying you should (quite the opposite, actually)

It was an order for cupcakes for a wedding....there was a complaint...now, you want to quit accepting wedding orders...

What if they were for a birthday party or other occasion...would you have stopped taking orders for them too?

Make it right with the customer, figure out the problem and go on.

As for the email...dang...that would've hurt my feelings no matter what time of day I got it.

Pick yourself up and carry on girl!

ETA: How can all the guests talk about how bad you bake....they 'refused' to eat it...they'd be guessin' at best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%