What Do You Do When...

Business By jewels710 Updated 2 May 2010 , 3:22am by Denise

jewels710 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:16am
post #1 of 10

As a Home baker with a business and you get really sick...like you can't even muster the strength to hardly stand sick and you have cakes due???
Especially when you don't have "staff" to do it for you.
I mean everyone is human. Just wondering what others do in this situation.

9 replies
mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:25am
post #2 of 10

Is there another baker near you that you trust to help you out? If so I would call on them. Good luck to you and I hope you're feeling better soon thumbs_up.gif

bobhope Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:40am
post #3 of 10

thank God, i have my dh, who helps me most of the time w/ the big orders icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 10

Off topic here.....bobhope - I love your signature! icon_smile.gif

jewels710 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, thank you for the well wishes mamawrobin but I am not sick - should have specified that! Oops...sorry.

I was just wondering AND thinking ahead.
(Also tried searching "sick" nothing came up that answered my question).
Thanks Texas Sugar - Finder of all posts!

bobhope Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:12am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Off topic here.....bobhope - I love your signature! icon_smile.gif

thanks loucinda...it came about from actual experience from so called friends...sigh!...sorry for off topic

peg818 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:27am
post #8 of 10

i think you have to network with other home bakers. I have a couple of people to call on in an emergency or to use for referrals if i'm swamped. In return they can call on me if needed.

It a give an take type thing. Haven't really had to use it. But we are there for each other if needed. We also share equipment when needed.

IceMaidenUK Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 10

Try and build a good relationship with someone local to you now, before you really need them. I have a trusted friend/fellow baker who's work I admire and who I refer to when I'm busy or on holiday and she reciprocates. So far I haven't needed a stand in for sickness but I will be glad of the relationship when I do! icon_smile.gif

Denise Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #10 of 10

There are 4 of us in the local area that are "on call" all the time to help out if needed due to illness, injury, death, overbooking! We have all helped each other at one time or another sharing equipment, products and a helping hand. It sure helps to know that I have back up if I need it.

I got hurt a year and a half ago and had a wedding cake due. I could bake and ice but didn't have the strength to roll out the fondant and couldn't stand that long. God bless my friend, she was here to help me out. Last year 3 of us went and did a 4 tier wedding and a guitar groom's cake for our other friend that woke up too ill to get out of bed. My bride's cake was delivered super early, and her brides cakes arrived on time.

Reach out to other around you...maybe cake club members? Other decorators can be a source of support and business!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%