Hello From A Newbie In New Zealand

Decorating By strathmore Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 10:14am by mamawrobin

strathmore Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:18am
post #1 of 7

HI have only been a member for 5mins but lurk heaps and have learned so much. I decided to start caking as someone brought a cake to kindy one day and I thought hell I could do that.

So far everyone has been impressed - I don't do anything I can't do and generally do a trial run using hubbys work and friends for target practice. I have done about 5 cakes for various things before I found this site all learned from books but the kids got hold of the camera and deleted them before they could be saved - gutted.

I have a arty/crafty background but not much imagination so I have been looking at the galleries and have about 100 favourites so far saved for inspiration - very addictive hobby !!!. I have loaded 2 photos so far if you would like to take a look critcisim welcome.

I really need practice piping but I enjoy decorating with a clean look if you get what I mean. Some of the techniques are a bit hard to do here as I have not found a supplier or an alternative for some of the ingredients and supplies. Anyway bye for now - happy caking.

6 replies
marknelliesmum Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:28am
post #2 of 7

Hi strathmore and welcome - I always love it when the lurkers finally surface - good for you! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I started in much the same fashion as you - the 'I can do that' attitude and as a hobby baker it has worked out fine although when I see what the likes of Edna and Aine2 to name but a tiny few can do I could weep with envy.

you said:

I don't do anything I can't do

My advice would be to start doing stuff you can't do - by this I don't mean take on stuff that is way too big and difficult, but I have a rule that each cake I do I try to do something I haven't tried or something I know I am not very good at that way you learn from the 'doing' and more often than not the 'repairing' icon_lol.gif

Looking forward to more chats on the forums.

rockshell Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:34am
post #3 of 7

I too am from New Zealand and have become addicted to this hobby. I have spent heaps of money on bits and pieces.

There are a few websites in NZ that you can get stuff from

Are just a few. The other place you can get stuff from is TradeMe.

Mrs-A Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:35am
post #4 of 7

hello and welcome..... a number of aussies hang out at this thread http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-656875-.html if you want to stop by and say hello

strathmore Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:51am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the welome and advice. What I really want to know is if I can get color flow in NZ ?? Royal just does not do the plaques I want to do the way I want them. Or does anyone know of an alternative ?? I have just used a glaze from recipes but the one I really want by antonia.. ... uses meringue powder and I don't know what that is !!

rockshell Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:54am
post #6 of 7

You can definitely get colour flow and meringue powder from the websites I listed. I have the Wilton branded ones.

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:14am
post #7 of 7

Welcome to cc. You're going to love it here icon_smile.gif . I want to warn you that this site is highly addictive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%