Cake Size Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm by KHalstead

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:51am
post #1 of 6

I am making a three tier cake. In the picture the bottom layers is smaller than the middle and the top. The bottom cake has to look like a tree log cut to resemble a cake platter. In the picture it looks like 2 to 2 1/2 inches high. The picture that the bride gave me is an actual piece of wood but she wants it to be cake. Being that this is the largest layer of cake I am having trouble figuring out how tall to make the first layer. Should I make a 2 or 3 inch cake? I just want to make sure the proportions look right. The middle and the top will be 4 1/2 inches high each. I need to order legs for my stress free cake support system so I need to decide between 2 and 3 inch legs. TIA.

5 replies
marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:20am
post #2 of 6

Sorry this is probably not gonna be much help but if nobody chips in with an easier way I'd probably have a play about with my cake tins and some cake boards - stack the tins as per the cake then use cake drums or something similar to make the bottom layer tinkering until you have a height that you think looks right. It won't give you an exact copy but it'll give you a rough idea.
HTH

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:33am
post #3 of 6

Can you post the picture of this cake you are talking about? I know I'm more visual and it's easier to look at something to understand how it was made. Thanks!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:16am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afunk

Can you post the picture of this cake you are talking about? I know I'm more visual and it's easier to look at something to understand how it was made. Thanks!

I agree. Photo please.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 6

Can someone tell me how to attach a picture. I have tried it and can't get the darn thing to work. LOL.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 6

click on "post reply" under my post, then type a message (can't attach without a message)

Then click on "Add attatchment"

then "browse" for the photo

and click submit!

The photo must be less than 800x800 pixels I believe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%