Bad Reviews For Cricut Cake Machine

Decorating By conchita Updated 9 May 2011 , 2:47am by ycknits

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:25pm
post #31 of 40

I was warned against a Cake Cricut towards a Silhouette for Cakes. There's a HUGE learning curve and so much reading, but once you get the hang of it you can make really neat cuts. You need the proper recipe for gumpaste (one that you can roll paper thin) and yes both the Silhouette and Cake Cricut will cut plastic stencils but there's two different cutters needed - one for fondant and one for everything else. (with the Silhouette Cake both cutters come with the machine). You also need to purchase the Make The Cut program - well you don't HAVE to but it's impossible to use the Silhouette without it so I strongly urge you to purchase it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:58pm
post #32 of 40

The cutter (blade and housing) for fondant/gumpaste only comes with the silhouette if you buy it from Linda McClure.

beckym4888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckym4888 Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:22pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

What frosting sheets are you using? I've had good luck with the ones fro9m icingimages.

beckym4888, how soft is your gumpaste when you cut it?

hi iv been using fondont not gumpaist do u think that is why they are falling apart ? x and its really soft x

beckym4888 Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:24pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

ALL I USE IS MODELING CHOCOLATE MAKES THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CUTOUTS AND EASY TO HANDLE. YOU CAN REMOVE THE LITTLE PLASTIC THATS OVER THE BLADE TO CUT THICKER. SEE MY BUZ LIGHTYEAR CAKE.

hi i tryed choc today and was easy to get of the mat thanks ever so much xx

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:47pm
post #35 of 40

I love mine! I agree that it takes some practice but if you're patient its amazing. I use it all the time. I roll my fondant on the mat and freeze it. While its freezing I program what I want to cut and then just pop it in. Love it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:43pm
post #36 of 40

Add a little tylose to your fondant and let it dry a little before cutting. It will cut easier and will be much easier to remove from the mat.

beckym4888 Posted 8 May 2011 , 12:00pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Add a little tylose to your fondant and let it dry a little before cutting. It will cut easier and will be much easier to remove from the mat.

ok thanks i will try that this week. x

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 8 May 2011 , 12:52pm
post #38 of 40

I LOVE my Cricut Cake - but it is a tool, not a total solution. I especially like it for quickly doing lettering that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do. Or if I'm making lots of a particular shape, like a star or circle - or a shape for which I want to make a variety of sizes. I got it for Christmas and only in the past few months have I really mastered prepping my fondant just right so that I always get what I want without a lot of trouble and wasted time. In the beginning, I wasted more time with the Cricut than I saved - but it was me, not the machine. The machine is great. It's prepping your fondant and carrier sheets that takes practice.

And, as others have pointed out, there is no short cut to baking, stacking, covering your cakes. Without skill in those areas, no amount of decorating can make your cake look good icon_smile.gif

beckym4888 Posted 8 May 2011 , 5:31pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

I LOVE my Cake - but it is a tool, not a total solution. I especially like it for quickly doing lettering that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do. Or if I'm making lots of a particular shape, like a star or circle - or a shape for which I want to make a variety of sizes. I got it for Christmas and only in the past few months have I really mastered prepping my fondant just right so that I always get what I want without a lot of trouble and wasted time. In the beginning, I wasted more time with the than I saved - but it was me, not the machine. The machine is great. It's prepping your fondant and carrier sheets that takes practice.

And, as others have pointed out, there is no short cut to baking, stacking, covering your cakes. Without skill in those areas, no amount of decorating can make your cake look good icon_smile.gif

iv been decorationg cakes for year now and i love it i got the cricut for different lettering and when i have lots of the same shapes and i was hoping to start doing wedding cakes with it to at some point. it is hard work but im getting perfect cuts now now its just the getting it of the mat lol xxx

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:47am
post #40 of 40

After cutting, I put my mat back in the freezer for just a couple of minutes. When I take it out, I can easily remove the cut shapes and place them on wax paper to dry enough to handle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%