Silver Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By Tiffthebaker Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm by CakeDiosa

Tiffthebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffthebaker Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:13am
post #1 of 7

Hi there everyone! I am extremely new to cake decorating ( I haven't taken any courses yet ), and I am making a Dallas Cowboys groomsman's cake for my brother in law's wedding in a few weeks. My question is, what is the easiest way to get my buttercream icing to look silver? I read somewhere to mix a few drops of black coloring with a few drops of royal blue. Is this correct?

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 7

You cannot acheive a metallic with food coloring. What you can do, is dye the buttercream gray. The only way to get a metallic silver is by using a silver luster dust.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 7

Do you mix the silver luster dust into the buttercream? Are all the metallic dusts created equal?

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 7

No, you will need to paint, by hand or spray, the luster dust on

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 7

If you have access to an airbrush you can buy silver airbrush color (and there is some also in an aerosol can) which can be sprayed onto BC and give the metallic finish.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 7

even if you don't have an airbrush, the silver airbrush color is one of the quickest ways to get a true metallic finish. Just paint it on with a paint brush. (once your buttercream has crusted)

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 7

I'd go with the gray buttercream and either airbrush it silver or super pearl over the gray.

I think it'd take a whole lot of luster dust to mixed it into the BC to get that color and it's more luster dust than I, personally, would like to see anyone actually consume.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%