Oh, How Your Mood Can Flip!

Decorating By LadyinaRedApron Updated 10 May 2010 , 5:05pm by 7yyrt

LadyinaRedApron Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 14

So I made this really great cake at my Wilton class this evening and I was so excited to bring it home to show my DH! I packaged it up, drove slow and steady, and it still was a disaster when I got home. LUCKILY, I had taken pictures before leaving Joann's! YAY FOR ME! I was so upset when I got home.

After taking the cake out of the box it was in it looked like the pillars ripped out from the side of the cake. Is there any way I could have avoided this problem?

Either way, here's what it looked like before the cake gods got angry with me!
LL

13 replies
Odyssey Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #2 of 14

Did you try transporting it stacked? The top plate stays pretty firm on those pillars so I can imagine the weight of the top cake could have pulled the pillars on even a small corner.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I only live 2 miles from where I took classes and even that drive was nerve wracking. When I have a stacked cake to deliver I bring it separated in a giant plastic bin with a divider if I can. A towel under the boards can help keep the cakes from sliding in the bin and gouging the life out of each other.

Melvira Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:53am
post #3 of 14

Never, never transport a cake that has those separator columns in it in one piece. Take the top tier off, set it next to the bottom, and put it back on when you get there. Otherwise, you'll have that same experience every time. That cake is super cute and very well done though. Kudos to you!

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:49am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Never, never transport a cake that has those separator columns in it in one piece. Take the top tier off, set it next to the bottom, and put it back on when you get there. Otherwise, you'll have that same experience every time. That cake is super cute and very well done though. Kudos to you!

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

emrldsky Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 14

I agree with the other posters. Even regarding how cute that cake is! icon_biggrin.gif

When I did the basketweave for the Wilton course, I was so proud of how it turned out. I drove the five minute drive home, and by the time I got there, it had practically melted down the site. icon_sad.gif I was so upset!

But it still tasted yummy. icon_smile.gif And next time I'm transporting a buttercream cake, it's going BEHIND the passenger seat, instead of in front, where the heater could melt it. icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 14

yeah, not a good idea to transport with those, that is unless you have a cake safe LOL
LL

hsmomma Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 14

Ditto what everyone said on your cake...very pretty and well done! And also ditto...about unstacking a cake with pillars for transport. You can even leave the pillars in and just take the cake board off the top tier.

Can't wait to see what other creations you make!!

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 14

I'm a little bit surprised your instructor didn't warn you against transporting it assembled. icon_confused.gif

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 14

yeah that's true JohnnyCakes.................hey OP.........did EVERYONe leave with their cakes fully assembled??

Melvira Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I'm a little bit surprised your instructor didn't warn you against transporting it assembled. icon_confused.gif

OMG, my head didn't even go there, but YAH!! That would irk me a bit if s/he didn't tell you about that.

LadyinaRedApron Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 14

She didn't tell me to take it apart... I thought about it and thought well she would have said something if I needed to take it apart. It makes me a little mad because that was my favorite cake that I have made to date. I will know better next time!

I wish I had the need for a cake safe! It looks incredible!

Thanks for all of your kudos! I know my cakes aren't perfect but everyone has to start somewhere!

Karen421 Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:40am
post #12 of 14

You did a great job!!

jenbug1 Posted 2 May 2010 , 2:25am
post #13 of 14

Sorry that happened to you. But I wanted to tell you that the cake is really pretty!

7yyrt Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:05pm
post #14 of 14

Where was it in your vehicle on the way home? Most seats are a little slanted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%