Tie Dye?

Decorating By timhenk Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm by KHalstead

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #1 of 7

Hello, all! I need to make a cake covered in fondant with a tie dye look. Can you give me any tips or suggestions?

The cake is for a 60's theme. I'd love to hear any other suggestions you may have for decorations as well. Thanks!!!

6 replies
tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 7

Simply take pieces of colored fondant and slightly twist together and then roll out. Good luck!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 7

Tint red/pink, blue, green, and yellow, bunches of fondant separately then twist and swirl and knead them together, there's really no wrong way since tie-dye, in nature is pretty random and free, should be really cool or should I say "groovy"

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:29am
post #4 of 7

Search this site, I've seen it somewhere.

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 7

Try not to twist the fondant too much. I made a sample of 3 colors, red, blue and yellow. Twisted them slightly and it looked pretty cool. Then when I made the actual covering for the cake, I must have twisted/molded too much. The blue tends to take over very quickly. (see photo)

crystalscustomcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalscustomcakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 7

I've done tie dye with an airbrush.... zig zag the colors in a grading circles on the cake or even painted the colors on the same way it turns out really neat leaving the center white with some white showing between the different colors

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%