Still Searching For A Great Vanilla Cupcake Recipe

Baking By bethasd Updated 9 May 2010 , 3:01am by bethasd

bethasd Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 11

I've tried & tried but can't come up with the perfect vanilla cupcake recipe. I love the flavor of Ina Garten's flower cupcakes but can't get a good shape. I've been using this one because I like the flavor w/sour cream and the oil keeps them nice & moist but it's not a "wow" cupcake. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla, or add another flavor
1 cup sour cream

10 replies
mbark Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 11

I'm with ya on that hunt! I have experimented with using real vanilla bean & vanilla paste, which gives a great flavor.

SandiOh Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:41am
post #3 of 11

why dont you try using more butter and less oil....

bethasd Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 11

I would love to use some butter instead of oil but does that also mess with the amount of sour cream because of the percentage of milk solids? I'm not a pastry chef, just a diy-er, so making substitutions is a bit intimidating. Can you suggest specific substitions? I'd be willing to try them & post the results.

Bunsen Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 11

I love the Magnolia Bakery Vanilla cupcake recipe - Google should find it, it's been posted online many times. It's secret is lots and lots of sugar and real butter - I think you can't beat the flavour of butter in a 'plain' cake. I use vanilla paste rather than extract, gives a great flavour and I like the look of the vanilla seeds.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 11

I'm with you on the hunt! Yesterday, I tried Billy's Vanilla Cupcake recipe (from Billy's Bakery in NYC). The flavor got good reviews (I substituted vanilla bean paste for the extract), but I wasn't happy with how they looked on the outside. If I make them again, I'll fill the cup only about 1/2 full. I filled the cups about 2/3 full, and as this cupcake doesn't dome...when the batter reached the top of the cup, it spilled out over the edge. It also had a slightly hardened crust that I didn't care for. (I didn't overbake them.) icon_biggrin.gif

mbark Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 11

I've tried Magnolia's recipe & was NOT impressed

victoria7310 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 11

I'm on this hunt too. So far it seems I can have either taste or shape nit both!

newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 11

I've been told that Peggy Porschen's vanilla cake/cupcake recipe is really good but I haven't tried it.

steplite Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #10 of 11

I've heard that Amy Sadaris' cupcake recipe is good but I use the "yellow cake" recipe on the site for cupcakes. click down at the bottom "From Karen's Kitchen" Lot's of great recipes on the site.

bethasd Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:01am
post #11 of 11

Has anyone tried Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake recipe as cupcakes? LOVE the flavor! I'm going to give it a try & will let you know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%