Crusting Smbc????

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 10:49am by mamawrobin

chillysmommy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:43am
post #1 of 7

OK, so I was wondering about doing a diamond pattern on a round cake covered in SMBC. I assume if I get it in the fridge it will harden enough to 'take' a pattern and then I was wondering what it was that makes crusting buttercream crust and if that could be used in SMBC... any scientists out there?

6 replies
leah_s Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #2 of 7

crusting is a function of the fat to sugar ratio. True SMBC will not crust. But putting it into the fridge to get firm before using the impression mat (or whatever) will work.

prterrell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:12am
post #3 of 7

As Leah_S said, SMBC will not crust. Crusting icing can only be made using powdered sugar with a fat (butter, veg. shortening, or combination).

miny Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:29am
post #4 of 7

Is it too soft to handle fondant? I really like the flavor and the fact that it's not sweet but I've never used it under fondant, I want to make one of those little bathtubs for babies, it'll be around 6 X 4 in. and I'll be using SI or should I make some super sweet crusting BC? icon_sad.gif

prterrell Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #5 of 7

You can use SMBC under fondant. Refrigerate it first to resolidfy the butterfat, then apply the fondant.

miny Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:55am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for your quick help prterrell icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:49am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Thank you so much for your quick help prterrell icon_biggrin.gif

miny I noticed that we share the same birthday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%