Edible Image Question

Decorating By chefdot Updated 11 May 2010 , 3:02am by mom2twogrlz

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 21

If an edible image has a white background will it affect the look of it if I lay it on chocolate frosting rather than plain white frosting? I've never tried it and don't want to find out the hard way that it won't work.

20 replies
chefdot Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 21

Also, can you apply an edible image to fondant? If so, how? Just water like you would if it was fondant on fondant?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 21

I think you are still going to have a white background behind it because the EI doesn't completely dissolve.Yes..add water on the fondant to attach the EI to fondant.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 21

I have done alot of edible images over the years. Yes you have to always have a white background. Even if you background is a different color, you can also make a thin white fondant piece to lay it on and the apply to the cake. Also by using piping gel, lightly water down the image will do better. don't use straight water, it melts and has a tendency to rip the images easier. Hope this helps icon_rolleyes.gif

chefdot Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 21

You are the best Kiddiekakes! That's what I was thinking but needed reassuring! icon_smile.gif

chefdot Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 21

OK now I am confused again and torn. icon_sad.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 21

I have used water and gel...both ways I found the EI did not completely dissolve (Or maybe they aren't supposed to either)..Try what works for you!

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #8 of 21

They will never completely melt., they become as one with your icing, after about a hour or two. Water makes more spots also on the EI, thin out piping gel won't. Plus it gives you a little more working time to move them if you are very patient. Water usually will take ahold of the EI and your done, don't mean to confuse you, just help lol, work with them you will learn your own method. icon_wink.gif

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #9 of 21

I use piping gel because I agree it is more forgiving than water. If you don't want the white background, you can always trim around it before you apply the image.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:18am
post #10 of 21

Actually, a lot depends on the brand you are using. The Icing Images Premium Brand can handle colored frostings/fondants behind it. Now, to add more confusion but cool confusion, the Premium brand comes in chocolate. But, it makes the image appear sepiaish! I personally have not tried piping gel, but hear a lot of great ideas about working with it. The more moist the frosting is behind the picture, the better it melds in to the frosting.

As far as the white background. If you are using a white icing sheet, than it is no different than printing a photo. Where there is white, white will appear and it is suppose to be white like a picture. It almost sounded like some people were talking about avoiding the white background. I am assuming then that that would be on the edging of the paper so CDavis is correct, you can trim around it or pipe around it. Often times if I dont like the white background, I use my graphics program to make a frame around it.

I will be glad to answer more q

icingimages Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:20am
post #11 of 21

Sorry, I hit the wrong key and away it went! But as I was saying, is I am leaving for a mini vaca this weekend camping so I may not have internet access. I will be back to CC on Sunday/Monday night if you need any more help.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:36am
post #12 of 21

I don't mean to steal the thread but have similar question. I need a few small images. Can I incorporate them all on one sheet to be made and then just cut them out or off as needed? Walmart charges 5.00 per sheet, hate to waste my money. TIA

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:09pm
post #13 of 21

I print multiple pictures on a sheet and just trim around it. That's what I did with my Mario cake for my grandson.

tiggerjo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #14 of 21

thank you arriva..that is just what I needed to know.

icingimages Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 21

When you cut them, do not take them off the backing first. It is much easier to cut with the backing or you can use an exacto knife to trim just the picture, but again while it is on the backing

tiggerjo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:15pm
post #16 of 21

thanks, i think i can do it.

chefdot Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:03pm
post #17 of 21

I want the white background. I am just wanting to know that if I put the white background on chocolate frosting if it's going to distort any of the white or other colors on the EI.

chefdot Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:19pm
post #18 of 21

I will just frost that part of the cake white to be safe. Thanks guys!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:30am
post #19 of 21

Chefdot, how did your images come out on your chocolate frosting? I want to do the same thing and was wondering if I should put them on white fondant first. TIA

jlhayles1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlhayles1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:41am
post #20 of 21

Where can I go to get a photo made into an edible image so that I can put on a cake? Do the local bakeries do it? or the photo printing places??

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhayles1

Where can I go to get a photo made into an edible image so that I can put on a cake? Do the local bakeries do it? or the photo printing places??

most local bakeries can do it, as long as they have the equipment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%