Help With Wilton Floral Garland Cutter/ejector Set

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm by DianeLM

MeliaJ Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 6

I bought the Wilton Floral Garland Cutter/ejector Set and for the life of me seem to get it to work right. Anyone have this have any tips? or is it a waste?

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have it so I might not be much help, but have you tried dusting the cutter with cornstarch before using it? I use scrapbook punches with fondant sometimes, and cornstarch helps a lot with that.

icer101 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, you roll out your fondant or g/p , or chocolate clay, etc . Put the cutter on the plunger. Cut with a little twisting motion. Not too hard. Either plunge it out on a piece of foam. this helps it to curve some. Or right on your cake. i do both ways , depending on my time. i let my medium set up a little before i cut. i usually rub just a little powder sugar litely over the medium. meant to say, I love this set and any ejector set i own. You will also want to put a center with r/i or b/c.

jennywenny Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 6

I guess with anything like this, you need the fondant or gumpaste on the dry side and you'll need a little cornstarch/powdered sugar to make sure it doesnt stick. Also make sure to roll it out nice and thin.

MeliaJ Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry for the late replies. Thanks, my problem could be that I'm not letting the fondant dry out enough before I use the plunger. How thick are you guy rolling the fondant?

DianeLM Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 6

Don't roll your fondant TOO thin, or you won't get the nice cup shape. I'd say about 1/8 inch.

And, for a cleaner cut -- After cutting, but before plunging the flower out, rub the edge of the cutter with your finger. This will remove that stringy excess that sometimes sticks to the outside edge of the flower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%