Wilton Class 1

Decorating By pinkalicious87 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 5:27am by Ballymena

pinkalicious87 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 10

I'm going to be starting my first Wilton class Tuesday and when I called Hobby Lobby, the woman that answered the phone told me that I would not need to bring anything to the first class. That's great but what should I prepare to bring to classes 2-4? Unfortunately, she wasn't sure. The reason that I'd like to know early is that I live 45 minutes away from all of the craft stores. All I have in my small town is Wal-Mart so if I need anything that I can't find there, I have to make a special trip. I'll take any information you all can give me.

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 10

Call back and get the name and number of the instructor and call them.

redcpa1022 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 10

I took that class and I needed to buy the Course 1 kit. Don't buy the book, it was included in the registration fee. You will have to make a cake every week to decorate in class. However, you could freeze one cake to use again each week (just scrape off the decorations from the previous week). But I wouldn't try eating the cake after that thumbsdown.gif
I made a cake every week and then brought it to work.

pinkalicious87 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcpa1022

I took that class and I needed to buy the Course 1 kit. Don't buy the book, it was included in the registration fee. You will have to make a cake every week to decorate in class. However, you could freeze one cake to use again each week (just scrape off the decorations from the previous week). But I wouldn't try eating the cake after that thumbsdown.gif
I made a cake every week and then brought it to work.

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know!

PTBUGZY1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 10

look at the course1 kit and see whats included, you may have all or most of the needed supplies. I took course 1 and 2 and only needed to buy a couple of items as I already had most everything I needed which saved me some $$.

Karen421 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:10am
post #6 of 10

Walmart should have everything you need once you get started. Have fun with your classes!!

Odyssey Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:25am
post #7 of 10

The first class, if I remember correctly we talked about what the class entailed, explored our kits, folded a parchment bag, then our instructor showed us how to make the icing, what the different consistencies felt like, and how to level, stack, and ice a cake.
The first class is all about buttercream so you will need to make a ton of it. 3 different cakes brought to class each week with a base coat of icing and depending on the instructor bags of icing pre-filled in the colors you are going to use.

I found an instructor's site to give students an idea of what they need to have for class, hope it helps.
http://decoratescakes.com/course1.aspx

Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #8 of 10

Lesson 1 is all instruction and you get your supply list that night.
It will include (all Wilton brand)
-Course 1 kit
-Meringue powder
-Icing colors
-15' Parchment paper or large parchment triangles

Depending on instr. of course but some let their students bake double layer cakes but make it into 1 layer and 8 cupcakes, that covers lesson 2 & 3. Lesson 4 you will need a double layer cake, usually.

ninatat Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:40am
post #9 of 10

they should have given you a list when you registered

Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:27am
post #10 of 10

Usually for Course 1 the list is given at the first class. For the rest of the classes it should be given to you when you register.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%