Paranormal Themed Cake????

Decorating By fabfour Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm by iheartcupkakes

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 11

I've been asked to make a sheet cake for Project Prom. The theme this year is paranormal, everyone I've talked to doesn't have any ideas that they want on the cake. They just say "do whatever, we know you will make it look good". The only direction I've been given is paranormal not halloween.

Help, this is due Sat.

Thanks!

10 replies
pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 11

You know those halloween decals that have a face and hands looking like they are trying to come trough a wall? that is what I am seeing as paranormal

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 11

I did a google search under paranormal. Ideas I saw were: aliens, bigfoot, loch ness, ghosts. What about doing a replica of one of those machines that "sense" if there is a ghost in the room. Or a UFO. Maybe a room replica with "floating" table or other item. It could be put on wires so it could be suspended above the cake. Can you put tiny lights in it? You could do a "portrait" and make the eyes glow.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 11

I think aliens in a prom dress and tux! You could do like a little bride and groom topper.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

You know those halloween decals that have a face and hands looking like they are trying to come trough a wall? that is what I am seeing as paranormal

That sounds cool. Like the face--alien or other- was trying to come out through the fondant.

BTW, does this sound like a creepy theme for prom to anyone else?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 11

shame it can't be a cupcake tower...

then could do the "psychic" -- answer written on top of cup cake. Question underneath.

A: The Last Person You Kissed

Q: Who will laugh at graduation?

======

possibly something that references the movie "Paranormal Activity" (which may have been the inspiration for the theme)

=====

lots of events for inspiration:

http://paranormal.about.com/od/paranormalgeneralinfo/a/2009-top-events.htm

====

The old Haunted Mansion that used to be a DisneyWorld comes to mind -- of course the modern descendant Tower of Terror could work too.

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 11

try to replicate a paranormal investigation tool, like an EMF detector or something. IDK, when I hear "Paranormal" I think of Zac Baggins in the Ghost Hunters tv show that comes on the Travel Channel- I do like that show.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 11

what comes to my mind, Is the cake looking like its upside down or floating in the air. Or a really crazy topsy-turvy cake. I'm no help tho, not sure how you would accomplish this-sorry. it was just some thoughts icon_redface.gif

fabfour Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you everyone for the ideas! Yes, this is a strange theme for prom, and I think it was based on the movie. Sure is a lot different from last year (that was a saloon).

fabfour Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 11

Okay, maybe have an idea. I kinda feel bad about this but I really don't want to spend a whole lot of time on this cake because I'm donating 1/2 of the price for the cause. I have 3 other sheet cakes and a wedding cake already going out this week plus I just found out about this cake yesterday. So, I don't have time to go crazy. What about spraying the cake black with Paranormal State in white like this:
http://digitalwinterr.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/paranormal_state_logo_resized.jpg

but figure out how to make it look like finger nails from inside the cake writing it????? Tell me if that is something this would work for this theme??? If it does, does anyone know how to do the fingers/fingernails???

Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!

iheartcupkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcupkakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 11

small ropes of fondant under neath? this is gonna be a cool cake please post pics when your done icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%