Baking Strips - They Must Hate Me!

Decorating By dtdonnahoo Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm by tyty

dtdonnahoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtdonnahoo Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 9

I am using baking strips for the first time and want to throw them away! Either they are to blame or I am just stupid. I am using the same recipe and filling my pans to the same level. The only thing new is the baking strips and ALL of my cake pans are overflowing onto my oven floor. icon_mad.gif

I thought baking strips were to prevent a dome, ie it shouldn't flow over right? Does it make it so less batter is needed?

I must admit once they have overflowed and baked they are nice and level
dunce.gificon_redface.gif
Now I need to open all my windows so I don't die from smoke inhalation icon_cry.gif

8 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 9

LOL.... yeah it's really nice when that overflowing cake catches on fire in the bottom of the oven isn't it?
I've never had the baking strips cause my cakes to over flow though... however I have had mine do it from time to time...same recipe, same amount of batter in the pan.... just like BOOM all of the sudden for no apparent reason it happens.
Does this happen every time you use them? Or have you just tried it with this one batch of batter?

dtdonnahoo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 9

It was 2 different batches. I'm going to try again today and just use even less batter. Although with my luck it was a fluke and todays will be too shallow icon_rolleyes.gif

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 9

I haven't had that happen, but I do think they are a pain to size. So, I pin them to the size I use frequently and keep them like that.

Also, on the oven spill issue, I wouldn't take for my oven spill mats. After a spill, all you have to do is take out the mat and shake it off !!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 9

How much batter did you put in the pan?

dtdonnahoo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 9

I've always filled it 2/3 full.

Today I did 2 pans 1/2 full WITH baking strips (overflowed, but less than yesterday) No dome.

I did 1 pan 1/2 full WITHOUT strip, baked perfectly, just lower than usual but had a dome. icon_sad.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriva

I haven't had that happen, but I do think they are a pain to size. So, I pin them to the size I use frequently and keep them like that.

Also, on the oven spill issue, I wouldn't take for my oven spill mats. After a spill, all you have to do is take out the mat and shake it off !!

I find the pins to be a pain too. I have started using binder clips to hold the strips in place. Much faster to get them in place and they stay on better that way!

dtdonnahoo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 9

You guys are SO smart! I will be investing in binder clips ASAP!

I have never heard of an oven mat before, but they sound divine, where to you find them?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriva

I find the pins to be a pain too. I have started using binder clips to hold the strips in place. Much faster to get them in place and they stay on better that way!

I would be interested in those oven mats, where do you get them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%