Am I Crazy???

Decorating By KrissieCakes Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 7:34pm by KrissieCakes

KrissieCakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 4

I know loaded question right? icon_smile.gif

I want to attempt my first whimsical cake tomorrow. It will be small and only one tier. I just really want to try the carving and covering of that shape. It would be for my SIL's bday, so I have been given free reign on the design.

Anyway, she did request one thing - she wants raspberry chambord filling. Would that be a nightmare to use on my first cake carving? Would it be easier to attempt with regular buttercream? Should I move on to my backup design? (which I like just as much, but it isn't anything new and challenging)

Any suggestions for me? Thanks all!

3 replies
PinkZiab Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 4

Well if you're worried how about a compromise, and use chambord-flavored buttercream?

DianeLM Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 4

Are you planning to taper the tier? If so, toss a couple of small cakeboards between your layers, then carve your taper shape. Separate the layers, remove the cardboards, pipe your dam, then add the filling. Replace the top layer. Trim, if necessary.

Make sure you press the layers together firmly and allow the cake to rest, preferably with some weight on it, for at least 3 hours.

KrissieCakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 4

I usually use the Buttercream Dream recipe from this site - it's a butter/shortening combo recipe. Would I just replace some of the vanilla called for with the Chambord? I also make SMBC - that would be a tastier option, don't you think?

I am soooo not an experimenter, can you tell? I use recipes pretty much to the tee! I've never had a total cake flop before, so I'm not sure what makes me so nervous, but it does!! Actually, it's probably my SIL's family that makes me so nervous. Her sis is kind of negative about everything and i don't want my cake to start anything with her.

I'm thinking that I like the idea of raspberry buttercream, rather than the filling. One less thing to make! icon_smile.gif I just found out today that my family wants to have a party for my SIL right in the middle of a huge out of town soccer tournament (thankfully the tourney is in my SIL's hometown). So, I'm going to have to make the cake tomorrow and Friday and have it sit (in a fridge with SMBC right?) till Sunday.
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate the quick responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%