[B]Has Anyone Used Wilton's Crusting Buttercream ?[/b]

Decorating By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:22am by OMGitsaLisa

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone used Wilton's crusting buttercream? I am wondering if it's any good..or should I just make my own?[/b]

9 replies
tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 10

do you mean the can or the recipe? the recipe was given to us in class and does crust. the can also crusts. i find indydebi's recipe to be the best.
hth

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 10

The stuff in the bucket! I have 3 small smash cakes to make with one very large cake..the large caek is fondant. I was gonna try it to save myself some time..just wondered if it was any good?

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 10

Do you mind sharing the recipe? I haven't had good luck with buttercream.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 10

not sure of the wilton off the top of my head. indydebi's is on this site and
the wilton site should have their recipe.

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 10

I haven't used the can either, but I've tried the Wilton and Indydebi's. Indydebi's is so much better and it's really easy to make. Love it!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 10

I agree that Indydebi's buttercream is great and it's so easy to make. I didn't like the big tub of Wilton's. It's nothing to compare to Indydebi's receipe. Hers crust within minutes which saves lots of time. The Wilton icing that I bought in the tub took FOREVER to crust and didn't give the results I expected.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #8 of 10

For Amy - the Wilton class buttercream recipe - this is actually a double batch but I never make anything less than a double batch. This makes a medium consistency icing for piping borders, etc - you want to thin it down for icing cakes.
2 cup shortening (about 15 oz if you prefer to weigh it out)
2 tsp flavoring*
3 oz (6 T) water
2 lb powdered sugar
2 T meringue powder
pinch of salt

Wilton usually suggests 1 tsp clear butter flavor and 1 tsp clear vanilla - but I like to add almond extract. I make a batch of 2 oz butter flavor, 2 oz almond extract, and 3 oz clear vanilla then just use 2 tsp of this. Have never had any complaints about taste of this icing.

This freezes well too. I just bake @ home so I usually make 3-4 batches at a time (as long as I'm making the mess) and just freeze it in a plastic tub - then I always have some on hand to do a cake.

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:08am
post #9 of 10

I have an easy, no fail buttercream recipe. I use it on all of my cakes. I am not a fan of fondant and this recipe works well if you are using fondant accents on your cakes. Let me know if you want it.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:22am
post #10 of 10

I used the Wilton recipe when first starting out but after trying indydebi's, I will never use it again. Meringue powder tastes nasty and does nothing to improve the buttercream. It doesn't cause it to crust since that's handled by the ratio of powdered sugar to fat. I don't know what it does, but it tastes bad and I wouldn't bother with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%