Fresh Daisies

Decorating By yvonneeudy Updated 7 May 2010 , 12:36pm by Mug-a-Bug

yvonneeudy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvonneeudy Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 15

I have a customer that wants fresh daisies to cascade down the front of her wedding cake and small daisies placed around the base of each layer. This is my first time with fresh flowers, do I need to do something special? The wedding is at 3pm and I don't want to set up too early and the flowers wilt. I don't know if I should purchase those little water bottle picks? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

14 replies
rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 15

Here is a link to a website that lists flower toxicity. Daisies are listed as midly toxic, not sure if any other members have advice on how to put them on safely or wether they should be used or not. http://www.blueirissanctuary.fatcow.com/id181.htm

HTH Lisa

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 15

Daisy's are one flower that you can make pretty easily in gumpaste - I love making them! Here is a pic of the ones I make:
LL

yvonneeudy Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 15

Your daisy is very pretty, I just do not have the daisy cutter? One of those things I haven't gotten around to buying yet. I tried the link for the toxicity on flowers but I couldn't get to it? Maybe it moved. Thank you so much.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 15

I can't speak for the toxicity, but as far as doing something, it's pretty easy to place fresh flowers on cakes. You can make your own picks with straws. Melt the ends together with a lighter, or plug the end with chocolate. Insert straw into cake, place flower into straw. Let the flowers soak in water overnight before you put them on the cake and they should last all day. No yucky water needed in the pick. HTH. PM if you have any other questions. thumbs_up.gif

rltmeng Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 15

Hi Mug-a-Bug, I haven't heard this trick before, thanks thumbs_up.gif

Lisa

Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks!! That's cause I invented it icon_biggrin.gif I'm too cheap to pay for flower spikes. I used this on the cake in my avatar, works great. thumbs_up.gif

rltmeng Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 15

You're a talented inventor and cake artist! icon_biggrin.gif If you have any other tricks you have invented, I'm all ears icon_cool.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 15

That is a great idea....going into my bag of tricks now too. icon_smile.gif Thanks for sharing it with us!

yvonneeudy Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 15

That was a great idea! It worked beautifully. The trick is to have different size straws. Some larger stem flowers worked best in the large straws like Mickey D's has. I just love it when a solution is so easy. Thanks again.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 15

Brilliant! I've started to keep a note book with all of these great tips. Just wanted to say thank you!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:08am
post #12 of 15

thumbs_up.gif I'm a genius!! icon_lol.gif I'm working on making my own stacking 'system'... going to make a tutorial as soon as I can get hubby to break out the power tools!! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #13 of 15

Thanks for the great tip. Looking forward to your stacking system - I can't find/get SPS .

Dunebuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dunebuggy Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:12am
post #14 of 15

Wow! I love that tip about the straws Mug-a-Bug. Thanks for sharing.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:36pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathmore

Thanks for the great tip. Looking forward to your stacking system - I can't find/get SPS .

You're not missing much icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%