How To Avoid Cake Crumbs?

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:21pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 6

Ok , im not really new to cake baking but sometimes i just cant think icon_rolleyes.gif But im going to make a shoe box cake for my DD BDayand im cutting a cake in two, its a 11x15 to be excate , That im going to cut, i know you can put your cake in the freezer to be able to crumb coat it, I usally dont have to many crumbs But do you think i can get this iced with BC she doesnt like fondant and im not good with it yet. and get it smooth , Just thinking this out before i freak out icon_wink.gif Thanks for your help

5 replies
dalis4joe Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 6

yes u can.... fridge ur cake.... crumb coat.... fridge again... then do your icing coat being mindfull NOT to disturb your crumb coat... so go thick and when you use ur scraper to smooth just start removing the excess.... as long as u don't mess with your crumb coat...u can have a finish that can fool the eye into thinking it's fondant....

If you go to youtube... Edna has a great video on how to ice a cake and she shows you how to start with a lot of icing and work it down to the right amount without massing with the crumb coat...

good luck!

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

yes u can.... fridge ur cake.... crumb coat.... fridge again... then do your icing coat being mindfull NOT to disturb your crumb coat... so go thick and when you use ur scraper to smooth just start removing the excess.... as long as u don't mess with your crumb coat...u can have a finish that can fool the eye into thinking it's fondant....

If you go to youtube... Edna has a great video on how to ice a cake and she shows you how to start with a lot of icing and work it down to the right amount without massing with the crumb coat...

good luck!

Thank You, guess i will pile it on thumbs_up.gif

dalis4joe Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 6

lol np....

u might feel scared to add a lot but trust me... it's the best way.... so you will never touch that crumb coat... I still recall everytime I iced a cake how I would always have crumbs on the icing and be piping flowers wherever there was a crumb so I could hide it lol.... as u do it more and more... u will get better and better...

here is the link.....

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 6

I agree you need to put on lots of icing, like dalis4joe said you don't want to disturb your crumb coat. I once heard someone say that icing a cake is more like "removing icing from the cake rather than putting it on" thumbs_up.gif

DO watch Edna's video on youtube before icing your cake. It will help.

cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 6

Thank You i will definatly watch the YouTube video before i ice the cake.Ii normally dont have any troubles , but i dont normal cut a sheet cake into to make a shoe box either. Just dont want to mess up since its my Daughters birthday cake. Just a little nervous about this one icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%