How Would You Do This Time Wise?

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm by cakeaddiction

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 6

YESTerday a friend called, needs a cake that looks like a reece's peanut butter cup package.

Now, Ihave had a miagraine for like 4 or 5 days now- so I'm not really with it. LOL

I told her I would do it, no problem. SHe needs it SUnday morning, I'll drop it off on my way to church. Then I remembered I had been working on the banquet for weeks... And its THIS week. LOL

SHE wants a peanut butter cake, chocolate frosting, and I"m going to use fondant to cover it to look like the package.

My problem is this:

TOday is wend. I have an acre and a half garden to Plow then hoe, and I really need to plant the 2 acre pea field. LOL (I was just whining, nothing to do with the cake.. LOL)

Friday at 5pm I have to be in town to set up for a banquet that I'm on the committee of. I should be home by 10pm. then Saturday morning at 9am we will finish setting up, I'll drive home, dress all 4 kids and hubby and myself, and get ready for the banquet that will be starting at 4:30. I'll get home around midnight.

NOrmally I would bake my box cakes 2 days in advance, and start working on my decorations --- sometimes getting the basics together by that night and having all the next day to work on it. Leaving the day its needed for me to pick and poke at it, hating everything I had done so far.... LOL OH yeah- I am also supposed to drive an hour away and buy a ton of feed... LOL I might skip that one...

But I dont know how long this cake can be set out. Its a normal scratch cake, with peanut butter chips in it (and if I am not busy enough, walmart didnt have just a bag of PB chips, I had to buy bags of choco and PB mixed- so now I get to set and pick out the chips I need.. LOL )

I usually dont stack cakes, maybe putting a smaller cake decoration on top of the sheet cake, or such, but this time I thought it would be better tasting to make small layers and put chocolate frosting between them. Maybe make it 4 inches high overall.

Do I need to use supports of anykind? Its not going to have anything except fondant on top, I'll probebly paint the fondant to match the package.

How soon in advance would you cook the cake? to be honest, I need to have it done by Friday evening. I use MMF fondant. can it set out (covered of course with saran wrap) till sunday morning? Should I bake the cakes tomorrow? I want them totally cool, and settled, so it doesnt mess up my fondant when I am working on it right? and that would be on Friday.

I'm just worried about the cake settling on the day it will be just sitting and I wont be touching it (sat)

Wend(today): make fondant
THurs: bake cakes, make chocolate frosting, color fondant, put cakes in freezer overnight
Friday: stack, fill and fondant, and decorate, getting done by 4pm. (do they need to thaw before I stack them?)
Saturday: sit and pray my kids dont play baseball in the house and smash it?
Sunday morning: deliver it...

Will this work? or would you do it differntly? and didnt I see where indydebi says she uses the hershy chocolate frosting on the side of the box? I can use that as a fill right? just a small layer to give it more of a reece's taste?

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 6

Your plan sounds good. Just don't put fondant on a frozen cake.

chellescountrycakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 6

THanks!! icon_smile.gif

SO, should I not freeze them? Should I just let them set out instead? and then put frosting between each layer on Thursday- putting the fondant on friday?

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 6

My husband loves reeses so I made a box chocolate mix and add 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter to it, then when i stack the cakes i put a layer of peanut butter ganache between...he says it tastes just like a reeses cup.

chellescountrycakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 6

ohhh I would love to do that- but I've never made ganache... not even sure of what it is... LOL thats the reason for the cake being what it is, the kid LOVES reeces. - and the friend that asked for it, has had my peanut butter cake before. But usually I put peanut butter frosting on it.. LOL

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 6

It's just chocolate and heavy cream. I use the reeses pb bits in mine. 2:1 ratio.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%