Tricks On Smoothing Whipped Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By didavista Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:28pm by emrldsky

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 21

Any input on smoothing whipped chocolate ganache on a sheet cake would be greatly appreciated. I usually use a crusting buttercream, so I am kind of lost here..... icon_redface.gif

20 replies
TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 21

put it on nice and thick, then smooth with a spackling tool, straight edge.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 21

you could try using a palette knife or scrapper dipped in hot water and dried off, the warmth of the knife will help to smooth the ganache. good luck

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 21

Both posters are correct.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 21

Rylan has an awesome pictorial on flickr.... she is amazing with ganache...

hth

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBUGZY1

you could try using a palette knife or scrapper dipped in hot water and dried off, the warmth of the knife will help to smooth the ganache. good luck

Love this trick! I generally don't even dry it off, just give it a bit of a shake, and it works great.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 21

thanks for the replies...I'll try finding that on flickr...Has anyone else found the hot spatula method for this leaves the chocolate discolored in spots.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

hth

I thought Rylan was a "he"? Am I wrong? Anyone? icon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

hth

I thought Rylan was a "he"? Am I wrong? Anyone? icon_lol.gif

yes, he's a he and not a she

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 21

Thanks Doug. I thought so icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 21

and HE is a kid too.............isn't HE?

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 21

Are you sure that's Rylan that your talking about being a kid or are you talking about that 16 year old that lives in AZ and has a bakery? Rylan lives in Las Vegas. I think he's kind of young (Rylan) but no kid.

Anyone?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 21

Here is a step by step guide I found on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34971289@N06/sets/72157622644499988/

Yes, sometimes you will get that discolored spots. I believe they call that blooming (correct me if I am wrong).

Hehe, yes, I am a he. I am also in my 20's.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:14am
post #14 of 21

Isn't blooming generally from moisture? When JeepGirl said she just shakes it off, my first thought was blooming and possible seizing of the chocolate.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:22am
post #15 of 21

Hmmm, blooming may have different factors I believe (not very sure). Here is a link of some possibilities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_bloom

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:35am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Here is a step by step guide I found on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34971289@N06/sets/72157622644499988/

Yes, sometimes you will get that discolored spots. I believe they call that blooming (correct me if I am wrong).

Hehe, yes, I am a he. I am also in my 20's.

I was right thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:10pm
post #17 of 21

20's for a guy is a kid to me! lol

And my point about his age was that it's all that more impressive what he does with cakes, because we know for SURE that he hasn't been at it for 20 years and just "claiming" he only started a little while ago!! lol

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:15pm
post #18 of 21

I agree. Anyone in their 20's is a kid to me as well. icon_lol.gif He is one talented young man.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:29pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:

I agree. Anyone in their 20's is a kid to me as well. icon_lol.gif He is one talented young man.

That explains a lot here at work...the younger "kids" (I'm 27) that have been working here for a few years are still being treated a bit like new hires by those who are eligible for retirement. Maybe I should lie about my age and tell people I'm in my 30s? icon_wink.gif

Anyway, to the OP, that tutorial is almost identical to what Sharon Zambito does in her Topsy Turvy video. If you don't have it, you should put it (and her others) on your wishlist. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Quote:

That explains a lot here at work...the younger "kids" (I'm 27) that have been working here for a few years are still being treated a bit like new hires by those who are eligible for retirement. Maybe I should lie about my age and tell people I'm in my 30s? icon_wink.gif

Anyway, to the OP, that tutorial is almost identical to what Sharon Zambito does in her Topsy Turvy video. If you don't have it, you should put it (and her others) on your wishlist. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

JUst because you are in your 20's shouldn't mean that your co-workers should treat you like a "new hire". icon_wink.gif I've had several supervisors that were younger than me icon_lol.gif .

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:28pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Quote:

Good luck!

JUst because you are in your 20's shouldn't mean that your co-workers should treat you like a "new hire". icon_wink.gif I've had several supervisors that were younger than me icon_lol.gif .

Not to steal the thread, but some do, some don't. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm kind of bubbly, short, "cute" (their words, not mine), and I actually look much younger than 27 (23 or so). And I work for a university, so I have the appearance of a student (even though I don't dress like one). *shrug*

Oh well. Helps in some ways, hinders in others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%