Topsy Turvy Servings?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm by kellertur

kellertur Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 7

I am not sure how to make a Topsy Turvy that will feed 100-120 once it's sculpted. Does anyone know what size pans I should use so that in the end it will still feed atleast 100? I've googled for a guide but have found nothing. They'd prefer a 3-tier cake.

thank you

6 replies
Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 7

I'm really not sure if topsy turvy serving sizes are different. If it were me, I would use the same guide as the rest of the cakes. I use earlene's guide (Just google Earlene's Cake Servings and you should find it no problem). It's a little bigger than Wilton's servings, and more realistic in my opinion. You can google Wilton's guide too. These are the two most standard charts for serving sizes. I would use them for your topsy turvy cake too. Hope that helps. thumbs_up.gif

leily Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 7

I base it off of a standard 4" tall tier, but I charge more per serving because they are getting more cake with that 3rd layer of cake. But once carved it's a lot closer to the 4" tall tier servings.

I am assuming you're doing a round one so I would go with 6-9-12 which would be 101 servings. If you want closer to 120 you could go with 7-10-13 which would get you 124 servings.

kellertur Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

I already do have a set serving size, but thank you. The problem is trying to maintain that serving size once the cakes are carved down.

Leily~ Yes it's round. So you are just adding an extra layer and then carving? I only have even numbered pans, no 7 or 9 or 13...does this matter? Can I use 6", 10", 12" to equal 120 (according to my sevings size) and add extra layers and carve down? Does that make sense how I'm asking it?

Thank you.

malakainrop Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 7

If you use the Planet Cake method and put your 'carvings' back into the cake - layered with ganache - you don't LOSE any servings icon_biggrin.gif

The cake is torted into 3 layers and filled with ganache - let set up before carving - then use your carvings in the layer before you flip the wedge.

This method does not use the cut out section to hold the tiers above.

honeyscakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakainrop

If you use the Planet Cake method and put your 'carvings' back into the cake - layered with ganache - you don't LOSE any servings icon_biggrin.gif

The cake is torted into 3 layers and filled with ganache - let set up before carving - then use your carvings in the layer before you flip the wedge.

This method does not use the cut out section to hold the tiers above.

Hi malakainrop, Can you please share a bit about Planet cake's method? where can I learn more about that.
Thanks.

kellertur Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 7

I'm not familiar with Planet Cake, I'll google it.

Tonight, I just watched Sharon's topsy Turvy video, but am always up for seeing another method.

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%