Shimmer Dust? Color Dust? Help

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm by BlakesCakes

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:55am
post #1 of 6

Hello... I'm fairly new to this site and need some help.

so I want to buy some petal dust but not sure what to buy. I want to be able to make fondant and gum paste flowers and shade them in with petal dust. But I have heard that I can also use petal dust with some voka or vanilla extract to paint directly on my cake like water colors? is this true?

I have a cake coming up for a tattoo artist and I want to paint on some basic tattoos onto fondant.

I have seen this listing on ebay... is this what I should buy? Does it seem like a good price?

Sara

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360143274680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

5 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:15am
post #2 of 6

You can use the petal dust vodka mix to paint on the fondant as well as the gumpaste and fondant flowers. Are you in the states? That price is about the same price as is on globalsugarart.com

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:49am
post #3 of 6

For things that will be eaten, it's best to use dusts that are FDA approved & edible. The source for those dusts is sugarpaste.com All of the colors that the company provides are food safe and FDA approved.

For things that won't be eaten, non-toxic dusts are fine. The easiest and cheapest way to get lots of these is to grind up chalk pastels that you find at Michaels, or other art supply stores. I grind mine thru a tea strainer that I get 3/$1 at the Dollar Store. You can mix the dusts to get other colors and you can tone them down by adding some cornstarch.

As for painting, I don't find that painting with petal dust or the chalks is very satisfying. I use them for dry dusting flowers, only. Some of them don't play well with liquid, even clear drinking alcohols. The luster dusts work well when mixed with the clear drinking alcohols or lemon extract, though.

Painting on fondant usually looks better if done with gel colors full strength or mixed with just a bit of clear drinking alcohol.

HTH
Rae

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

You can also get airbrush colors to paint with.

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 6

i am in toronto canada... i've never ordered from sugarpaste.com i guess they're a us based site?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, they're in Indiana. Beth Parvu owns it and she's very helpful. I'd e-mail her about shipping to Canada.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%