My Cake Leveller Wrecked My Cake!!

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm by PattyT

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:44pm
post #31 of 38

Oh gosh! I should have gotten an Agbay rather than spending a night at the slots last week! I've always wanted one.

DanaMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaMae Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

It's Wilton. Seriously, what did you expect?

If you can't afford the Agbay, then a long bread knife works well.
Use the sides of the pan as a guide to cut off the dome.

Take the cake out of the pan. Put in enough cardboards to raise the cake to the place you want to cut. Using the sides of the pan again as a guide, cut.

Try to visualize. It was 2 for 1 margarita night. icon_smile.gif

What a great idea, Leah. I will have to try that one! Thank you!

Lil_Sweet_Chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Sweet_Chef Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #33 of 38

I don't use a cake level at all I grab a long serrated bread knife and turn table grab the cake that i need to even off and just use my hand on the cake and cut through but if you hold the knife steady and turn turntable it should give you an even cut.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #34 of 38

After killing several large cakes, I threw away my Wilton large leveler. I still use the small one for smaller cakes. I use a long bread knife right now. I have done the toothpick trick but I like the cake board idea.

Someday I hope to have an Agbay but I only do cakes as a hobby so it is hard to justify.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #35 of 38

I don't have an agbay, I use the small wilton cake leveller, I used the large wilton leveller once and returned it the next day.
For my larger square or sheet cakes cakes I use the small leveller go around the outside and then finish with a bread knife. I've tried freehand and lol that's a joke. I do like Leah s advice thanks

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #36 of 38

I have the Fat Daddios Leveler. I've only used it twice so far, but it has worked great both times. My only issue was keeping the cake still while I cut through it, but I think that was my fault for not putting it on a non-skid mat first.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:57pm
post #37 of 38

I'm trying to picture a knife with a 12 inch blade to torte my 12 by 15 cakes! I'm thinking I might need a sword!! icon_lol.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

the floss is the way to go!!

peg818.. I also have used it to cut my cakes when serving. People are amazed at how clean the pieces are. icon_biggrin.gif

I do similar *BUT* I use the thin transparent fishing line. It doesn't stretch (though it does cut into my fingers a bit when I pull).

I have the large Wilton leveleer (p-tooey) and get SOME use out of it by scoring about 1/2 to 1" in all around the cake. Then cut a big piece of the fishing line, wrap it around from the back of the cake into the scored lines I just made, bring the two ends together, twist around 2-3 of my fingers and slowly pull it through.

I'd love an Agbay, but can't justify as a hobby baker. This gets me by.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%