Using Vodka And Corn Syrup For Shine...

Decorating By elliebuff Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 12:11am by elliebuff

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 6

For those of you who use this half-half mixture for a shiny look, does it work only on fondant? Or does it also work on gumpaste? I have a gumpaste shoe I would like to try it on but wasn't sure I could.

Thanks!

5 replies
elliebuff Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 6

Does anyone know how to get the shiny finish on gumpaste, or is it not possible?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:12am
post #3 of 6

I read somewhere that steaming gumpaste will change the color. HTH

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #4 of 6

I am not an expert by any means....but I have used this on fondant, so I wouldn't see why it would not work on gumpaste...

Do you have a small piece of gumpaste you could try it out on??

elliebuff Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks--I'm running a couple of test strips now to see how things go with both the corn syrup/vodka mix and the Pam spray. Hopefully one will work!

elliebuff Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:11am
post #6 of 6

So...the Pam spray looked nice, but gave it more of a matte finish and I was going for...something closer a patent leather look. The corn syrup and alcohol (I only had one of those mini bottles of gin, so I used that instead of vodka) was beautiful and kept the shine, even after 12 hours. (That was all the time I had before I needed to paint the shoe.)

I used the corn syrup and gin on the shoe and I loved how it turned out. I only let it dry about 12 hours, so it was still a teeny bit tacky when I took it to my friend, but it was a good choice.

The shoe is in my pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%