Making A Tiered Cake - Feel Really Stupid

Decorating By janinybeany Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm by janinybeany

janinybeany Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 9

I've only ever made 2 layer cakes so I've never had to try this before icon_redface.gif

When I put the second tier on a cake board (say a 6" cake) do I use an 6" board? when I bought the boards the 6" board says for a 4 or 5" cake, but then so much is still showing. How do I cover it when it is on the cake?

am I using the wrong item to put my tier on? I'm using the Wilton Cardboard Cake boards. Oh - and am I supposed to cover them with something?

My head is spinning! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
DanaG21 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 9

I always use the same size board. I'll even trim some so it doesn't show at the bottom of the cake. No board should be stickig out unless you need it for your design. You don't have to cover it with anything, just make sure that you are using icing or piping gel to make sure your cake sticks to the board and the same with attaching it to the tier underneath if you are not using plastic plate/dowling system. You should use hot glue or piping gel to attach your cake board to the plastic plate if you are using that type of system.

mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 9

I usually make 8/6 inch tiered cakes. I use a 6 inch cakeboard for my 6 inch cake. You're not suppose to trim any of the cakeboard away as that is what will support your icing/fondant for that tier. If you trim away the cakeboard to fit just the cake the icing/fondant isn't supported. When you put a 6 inch cake on a 6 inch board it only leaves about 1/4 or less of board showing. By the time you ice and fondant the cake the board will be hidden. If not your border will hide anything that might be showing.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 9

I cut my boards to the exact size of the cake, before the frosting goes on. Most of my designs don't have a border to hide a too-big board.

mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 9

I use to trim mine until I read a post by Leah_S that said you shouldn't trim the boards because that was for the icing. I rarely use a border any wider than my clay extruder will produce and it covers any of the board that the fondant didn't hide. Actually after I put the fondnat on my cake there is maybe 1/8-1/16 of the board showing. Very easy to cover with my border.

janinybeany Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 9

I think I'll try using a smaller cake board. There is so much board showing when I looked at the bigger ones.

So - no need to cover the cardboard though?

tron Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 9

I've only tried a tiered cake once, but in all of my research a lot of people say to use a piece of wax paper on the board. You can use a piece on the top and the bottom using icing of a glue gun. If you go on youtube, Tonedna has a great video on how she stacks her cakes.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:36am
post #8 of 9

No need to cover your cakeboard but I do put a piece of wax paper under it to keep it from sticking to the next cake.

janinybeany Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 9

Whew - OK - I think I can do this now! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%