Cream Cheese Filling Too Soft For Tiered Wedding Cake?

Decorating By luvbakin Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 13

For all those experienced wedding cake makers.

I have had a request for a 4 tiered red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for the filling. The size of the layers are 6", 9" 12", and 16". I am thinking that even with a stiffed buttercream dam, the cream cheese filling will be too soft for this tall of a cake.

Any thoughts?

Luvbakin

12 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 13

I use Edna's crusting creamcheese icing... it's very good for stacking and it's a bit more "sturdy' than regular creamcheese icing...

hth

luvbakin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks. I'll check out her recipe.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 13

Just curious...I'm also doing a wedding cake with cream cheese filling - are you doing regular buttercream for the icing?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 13

I use cheesecake mousse which is made with whipped icing and i've filled TONS of cakes with it, no problem! I can't imagine any icing that's 'softer' than a mousse!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 13

KHalstead: Does your recipe require refrigeration? Sounds yummy!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 13

Adding more powdered sugar to the cream cheese icing will firm it up as much as you want. I see no difference in butter or cream cheese. I use it under tiered cakes often since it's my clients' No.1 request.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 13

To prevent any bulging with heavy cakes, I use ganache. Never had a problem using light frostings. Rose Levy Beranbaum has a FANTASTIC white chocolate/cream cheese frosting that I cannot get enough of! It doesn't use any sugar - rather the sweetness comes from the white chocolate. If you go with ganache to cover your cake, this would be a great addition. Here's the link to the recipe (it's at the bottom):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000407551

luvbakin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for all the help. Not sure I want to use white chocolate in her cake, as it's expensive here, and they are on a tight budget. I'll keep that in mind for future orders though.

I never thought of just adding more powdered sugar. Maybe I can just sub the cream cheese for my butter in my basic bc recipe, and see how that works. My normal cream cheese frosting is so soft, and I just couldn't see it holding up under all those tiers.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 13

In my cream cheese recipe, I use cream cheese, butter and shortening and vanilla and then just keep adding powdered sugar until it's as thick as you want it. Good luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

KHalstead: Does your recipe require refrigeration? Sounds yummy!

Nope, and it's actually "Melvira's" recipe

2 cups liquid Rich's bettercreme
1 small pkg. cheesecake pudding mix
1 cup milk (I've even used water in a pinch)

you can either mix the pudding mix and Rich's and whip until stiff peaks and then slowly add milk to thin it down.

OR

you can make the pudding w/ the 1 cup of milk, whipe the icing separately, and then fold the two together........

OR

if you're impatient like me, I throw all 3 in a bowl together and let er' rip!!! lol

I only whip til soft peaks, because it does firm up as it sits (because of the pudding)

either of these ways will work!! and it's delicious and safe at room temp. for up to 5 DAYS!!! great for wedding cakes!

dess1023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dess1023 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 13

I woke up 5 min ago and now I want cream cheese icing! icon_surprised.gif
You ppl are not good for my health. icon_lol.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 13

It will be just fine, because the bottom tiers do not support the top tiers that is what your support system (i.e. dowels, sps) is for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%