Grooms Cake Is This To Feminine??

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm by Doug

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a 2 - tiered chocolate grooms cake for a wedding next week. Other than the top of the cake, I have full control over how I want to decorate it.

The top is going to have a white chocolate candy clay plaque with a maroon " M " and the word state going across it for Mississippi State.

The rest of it is... I thought about using wilton's white grecian columns between the layers, then frosting in a light chocolate buttercream, pipe the borders in dark chocolate, maybe dark chocolate piping on the sides...

In the center , could I do homemade truffles?? Say, pile them up in the center with white chocolate curlicue's , and truffles around the bottom??

What does everyone think ??? I usually tend to put too much on my cakes, and have to remember less is more.... but I wanted to run this by you pros out there and see what you think....

Thanks for your help!!

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 12

my opinion:

skip pipped borders and instead consider using a whipped milk chocolate ganche to frost, then do a dark chocolate poured ganache to finish (enough to completely cover top and top 1/3 of cake w/ artful drips down the sides) this instantly makes it more elegant, sleek and more masculine.

truffles --- YES!!!! dark chocolate of course rolled in dark cocoa powder. -- that justifies using the columns -- bigger mound!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

my opinion:

skip pipped borders and instead consider using a whipped milk chocolate ganche to frost, then do a dark chocolate poured ganache to finish (enough to completely cover top and top 1/3 of cake w/ artful drips down the sides) this instantly makes it more elegant, sleek and more masculine.

truffles --- YES!!!! dark chocolate of course rolled in dark cocoa powder. -- that justifies using the columns -- bigger mound!

YUMMY thumbs_up.gif

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 12

Love it Doug!

Rhonda19 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 12

That sounds wonderful Doug! I do thank you !! Except.... ( You knew that was coming .... ) I don't make Ganache very well. Mine just doesn't turn out too well.

I may try another trial run and see if I can manage it. I did another trial run at the Ganache today... and of course, it flopped. Someone told me to use a 1 to 1 ratio... 8 oz chocolate to 8 oz cream.... it was way to thin.

If it works out, I'll post a picture!

Rhonda19 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you!! After I read all this..... I should be able to make a some what decent batch of Ganache!!

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 12

Doug this sounds awesome!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:21am
post #9 of 12

I always go dark chocolate to seem more masculine. The darker the better, to me.

Rhonda19 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 12

When you pile up the truffles in the middle.... do you wait, go to the venue and then set your cake up?? Or do you put frosting in the middle and pile the truffles around it??

I know I have been asking alot of questions about this cake, but this is my first cake that will be seen by about 150 people. I really want to do a good job!!!

Thanks for all your help!!! and a BIG thank you to you Doug!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 12

This thread has me craving chocolate icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda19

When you pile up the truffles in the middle.... do you wait, go to the venue and then set your cake up?? Or do you put frosting in the middle and pile the truffles around it??

I know I have been asking alot of questions about this cake, but this is my first cake that will be seen by about 150 people. I really want to do a good job!!!

Thanks for all your help!!! and a BIG thank you to you Doug!!

personally I'd take the cake in separate parts.

stack and pile there (the pile being loose with so can easily pick them off --- tho' I would be sorely tempted to glue it all together just so I could run off with it faster.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%