Sps And A Long Trip

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 21 May 2010 , 12:40pm by emrldsky

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I know this topic comes up often, but I'm still stuck on what I want to do.

The situation is this: I offered to make my friend's wedding cake for free, as my gift. It's going to be have 12", 8", and 6" tiers.

I have the SPS system already, and I plan on using it...but I'm not sure if I should drive the cake already put together for the long haul, or if I should take it separated and put together there?

Before anyone quotes Leahs about how SPS was designed to allow people to pick up their already-stacked cakes, please understand, I'd be traveling TEN HOURS with it, and in a 4-door sedan, not SUV (and I don't know where I'd put it where it could be level).

DH is telling me to just figure out what I want to do, but I keep going back and forth on my decision.

Advice, please?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 8

If it can't be level, then I might take it unassembled. But as Indydebi always says, "If the cake will travel 5 miles, it will travel 500."

emrldsky Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

If it can't be level, then I might take it unassembled. But as Indydebi always says, "If the cake will travel 5 miles, it will travel 500."

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. icon_smile.gif I appreciate the honest and professional feedback. Helps alleviate my doubts.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 8

I have not worked with SPS specifically but with Wilton's push in pillar systems, I stacked the cakes at the reception. Saved all the travel worries. It sounds like you can easily do the same with SPS. Just take an emergency kit with icing, spatulas, whatever all you may need to mend a couple boo boos and finish the edges or decorating, and have a nice relaxing drive. Also that rubbery no skid stuff is your friend.

emrldsky Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 8

Just wanted to say that I took the cakes up to MN un-stacked. I did have the pillars and plates set into the cakes for easy assembly when I reached our destination.

Once I have pictures from the bride (silly me didn't take any), I'll post here. It was a HUGE hit (looks and taste).

Thanks everyone for your advice. As nervous as I was, everything turned out beautifully.

emrldsky Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 8

Finally got a picture! I was silly (and tired) and didn't take any myself. The photographer was so kind as to give me permission to use this photo in my portfolio:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1680548.html

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 8

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

emrldsky Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%