I'm Only Doing Cake Dummies For The Next Little While...

Lounge By tsal Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 5:34pm by tsal

tsal Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

Firstly, I'm a hobby baker. I really getting into cake decorating a few months ago and have done a dozen or so cakes since then. Lately, I've been averaging about a cake a week or so and dh is totally fed up.

I don't have to explain to people here how labour-intensive cake decorating is (even though my designs are relatively simple), or the fact that the majority of the cakes fall on the weekends which are the primary reasons that dh has had it. We have 3 kids under the age of 5 and while I'm decorating somebody's free cake (that's costing us money) all day on a Saturday, he's got to handle all the childcare himself. He is a very capable father but he works all week at an extremely stressful job, and doesn't look forward to a 'cake day' when I'll be MIA decorating. He has asked me to not accept any more cake requests for the next little while (I do have a friend's bridal shower coming up though which he knows about).

I think I'll order some cake dummies and then at least I can practice and decorate at night when it doesn't affect anyone.

Anyone else have a spouse that doesn't want to hear about caking anymore?

7 replies
TheCakerator Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 8

Is there any possibility of you decorating real cakes at night? What would the difference be between the real cake and the dummy cake?

leily Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

...while I'm decorating somebody's free cake (that's costing us money)...

To me it sounds like it isn't so much about the cake, but that you are doing this for free and not being compensated for your time and ingredients. When it's costing you guys money and he (and your kids) are not getting time with you I can see where it might get complicated

tsal Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 8

I think you're right Leily - it is something to spend $40 on ingredients and 10 hrs baking and decorating for friends and family. I totally see what he is saying which is why there is no fight from me.

Cakerator: the difference would be that I could decorate at my leisure instead of having a deadline (like Saturday afternoon for instance) that would require my decorating while my kids are up.

Home bakeries are illegal where I live so I can't accept money for my work.

KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 8

yep, this is why I do anything cake related ONLY when I'm alone.........whether it's during the day when DH is at work, kids at school or at night once they're in bed. Makes for a lot of late nights for me, but I'm the one that has to sacrifice to do what I love not everyone else.

I can see why it would bother him to not only be losing out on down time on the weekends, and time with you, but he's actually paying money to miss out on you!

tsal Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 8

Exactly, KHalstead! Although you have inspired me to try to make a cupcake bouquet Saturday night...

KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 8

awesome, those are quick and fast and if you throw your DH a cupcake he won't even know it happened!!! lol

tsal Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 8

Wish me luck!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%